Vanille Had An Accident :(

number20121

I came home from work late last night, and before going to bed at about 12:30am I dropped a couple algae chips into the tank as I often do it.

15 minutes ago I got up and went in the living room and counted my fish as every morning and I found only six. The light was off so it was kinda dark and it took me a minute to figure out that Vanille was gone. When I turned the ceiling light on I found her; she must have tried to get to an algae chip and WEDGED herself under the piece of driftwood :doh11: There is one section on the bottom that is uneven and so one part raised up half an inch off the bottom and she successfully squeezed herself in there.

It looked like in a cartoon when someone had dropped a piano onto someone.

Only her little face was sticking out on the front and she was wiggling and struggling to get out :(

So I immediately stuck my arm in there (the sleeve of my robe got its share of tank water) and carefully lifted the driftwood up, and she swam out right away. Luckily she didn't seem to be harmed too much. She wiggled away to the other end of the tank and just sat there for a minute, then started begging for food :rolleyes:

The side with which she was laying on the glass bottom of the tank seems a tiny bit red, on the side where the driftwood was on top of her she has a small scrape, the size of maybe two scales.

The only thing I noticed is that her balance is off; she is tilted to her right side a bit, which is the side she was laying on. Can this be from being stuck like this for a while? As she must have went after the algae chip (I have no other explanation why she would have tried to get under the driftwood), I suppose this happened between 12:30 and 1:00 in the morning, meaning she might have been stuck like that for about 6.5 hours.

Anything I should do for her? Salt to 0.1% for the scrape? I just did an 80% water change about 20 hours ago so the water is quite clean.

Hubby volunteered to use his power tools to flatten the bottom of the driftwood some, and if that doesn't help enough I will also work with some aquarium silicone to even the bottom of the driftwood out some more. Maybe I'll silicone some dark river rocks under it.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

• Supporter

just to be on the safe side, i would salt up to .1%.. if she was caught there for so many hours, and was trying to wriggle free, she's most likely lost a fair amount of slime coat as well.. so to get that back in a hurry, salt up..

as for hubby's alteration of the drift wood, yes, i would do it too.. but i don't think you need to go as far as to silicone the rocks to the bottom or add silicone to the driftwood.

poor vanille! what on earth was she thinking?.. we need to have a thread of the most clumsiest things you've caught your fish doing!.. i've got a list i can add to it too!

I know, right? In a way it was hilarious to see only her head sticking out under the driftwood. But I think my heart skipped a few beats. I had horror visions flashing through my head of her being injured really bad, just floating up to the surface taking her last few breaths etc.

So glad she was more interested in food.

Just the thing with being tilted worries me. Can that be from being stuck sideways for hours? Like a temporary loss of balance? She has no problem getting around, but especially when she holds still she tilts to her right side a bit.

Oh, and is .1% salt ok with apple snails? Or better off moving them back in with the tropicals temporarily?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

• Supporter

yes, the salt is okay with the apple snails, but only at .1% if you see anything happening to that wound of hers and you decide to up the salt, remove the snails.

tilting sidwards, i missed that bit, sorry.. fang, i really don't know enough about that, so i'd best not suggest.. i'm inclined to think it may be from stress or exhaustion trying to break free from her "trap" and needs time to recover, but i cannot be too sure.. so you may need to PM a mod. i see hidr's on at the moment..

I know, right? In a way it was hilarious to see only her head sticking out under the driftwood. But I think my heart skipped a few beats. I had horror visions flashing through my head of her being injured really bad, just floating up to the surface taking her last few breaths etc.

So glad she was more interested in food.

Just the thing with being tilted worries me. Can that be from being stuck sideways for hours? Like a temporary loss of balance? She has no problem getting around, but especially when she holds still she tilts to her right side a bit.

Oh, and is .1% salt ok with apple snails? Or better off moving them back in with the tropicals temporarily?

On the tilting. During transferring a fish from one tank to an other, the fish jumped and ended up on the stone floor. I picked Gigi up and put him in a small container and after adjusting he went to his new tank. He was a bit tilted for a few hours after. The day after he was back to normal. So I think that Vanilla just like Gigi had a temporary loss of balance. A bit dazed or shaken up from the 'adventure'.

Poor Vanille! I swear the things these guys come up with! :doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

I agree about the salt too. It will also help boost her immunity so no opportunistic nasties get hold of her :)

I think she will regain her balance soon like Miki says. :)

Mongo got stuck one time. Lost some scales and had a few scrapes. Clean water (extra water changes) and he was fine. The scales grew back pretty quickly too.

well thats quite the story. i have seen my fish wedged between things before,. i had a tikus, and it some how gotits fat round self between the filter intake pipe and the tank.. i dunno how long he was there for... so he ended up dying, assuming because it was of like suffocation or something. glad you saved your goldie on time though ! :D

sounds like to me though atm, you are treating it the right way. at least the fish is still moving around and doing well. he could potentially be on one side, i guess cus he sort of crushed his swim bladder a bit. just a thought. but aside from that a bruise and a scrape, hopefully the salt shall do good.

good luck !

Edited by jls25

Thanks everyone!

Small update: She seems to be doing all fine. No tilting anymore, so I guess it was caused by being a bit off balance after being stuck sideways for six and a half hours. At least it was night and dark so this kept her maybe a bit calmer, as I am surprised that there are only two or maybe three scales scraped. After all she was stuck enough to not be able to get out at all, and the bottom of the driftwood is very uneven. I really expected her side to be all torn up upon lifting the driftwood; was I relieved it was only a minor scrape.

Hubby is working on leveling the driftwood right now, and I'm done decorating the tank for Christmas/winter theme. I wish I had a photo camera, instead I will have to use the video camera to show the decorated tank. :D