Bloody Worms

sasha

hi im thinking of getting some blood worms

are the frozen kind the best.

im really squeamish lol and will prob get hubby to feed them lol

can i feed my fish maybe twice a week with the worms , if so do i just give the fish the worms that day and nothing else. thanks

oh and the hikari lionhead sinking pellets do i need to soak them fisrt thanks

• Supporter

i feed the hikari frozen blood worms twice per week.. and yes, any commercial food should be well soaked in advance using water from the tank, not your tap. the frozen food should be soaked too. i know this sounds funny, but it defrosts faster and healthier in some tank water. this also helps to remove any air bubbles caught within the frozen cube and assists in all getting a fair share of food. i made the mistake once of throwing a cube into the tank and my largest fish gulped it and it was gone :( the other 7 were just staring at me thinking what the?

when i feed the blood worms, i don't feed them anything else for the day.. but that's just me, i only feed my fish once per day. others have routines where they feed less two or three times per day.

it also depends on how old or big your fish are. if they are baby like, they will be better off being fed smaller portions 2-3 times per day.. mediums and large 1-2 times per day.

it really is upto you.. goldfish can go 3-4 days comfortably without food at all..

once per week, i fast my fish and feed peas the following day just for a "clear out" of their systems.

there are many techniques you can use, choose one that fits your lifestyle and suits your fish too :)

thank youlol about you big fish gobbling up all the food and the others looking in disbelief lol

ive has my black moor nearly 2 weeks its only little about an inch and half body length

i have just been feeding once in the morning but not too much about 3 pellets of food soaked, and a little gel food i made.

i did last sat not feed him and then sunday fed him a shelled pea but he struggled to eat it maybe the piece was too big ,is it better to squish the pea.

how many worms can i feed my not so big fish thanks

• Supporter

oh, okay.. i missed seeing on the side panel that you only have the one fish.. oh how i love blackmoors when they're soooooo tiny.. i have two of them and they're the smallest in my tank..

so, i would take a small glass, fill it a quarter of the way and defrost a whole cube in it.. then, i would literally feed him only 3 or 4 blood worms in one feed. but as he's so small and he's the only one in the tank, i would feed him 3 times per day, maybe 4.. but that's upto you.

you probably won't be able to keep the whole cube defrosted in the fridge for too long, so may i recommend you find a way of cutting it frozen and defrost only half of it? that way at least you can alternate between foods, he will need different foods to keep him healthy.

ie, i would feed him blood worms the one time and then 2-3 soaked pellets the next, a pea for the third time and so forth.. just to keep a good balance of foods in him.

with the pea, did you cook it in tank water?. take a microwaveable glass, quarter fill it with tank water, pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds frozen.. once it's out, deshell the pea by just pinching it on the edge, it should just pop out from it's shell and yes, you can squish it between your fingers a little to get it soft enough or small enough for him to eat.

i put the pea in tank water the for 15 seconds in microwave as the pea popped after that.lol

maybe the pea was still slightly hard just after 15 seconds,not sure.

you said to feed 3 or four times a day, is that 2-3 pellets 3 times a day or were you on about the blood worms,sorry if i misunderstood.just want to make sure im doing it okay. as im stillcycling the tank at min too

thanks for your advice

• Supporter

any food you like.. so long as the food is the same per feed. for example, don't feed him some pea, bloodworm and pellet in the one feed. morning - pea, lunch - 2-3 blood worms, evening - 2 pellets..

if the pea popped out and it was still hard, then leave it out of it's shell and zap it for a bit more.. next time, you may need to add more water to the glass for the 30 seconds. but this may still happen where it pops out by iteself.. it's a normal occurance.

what ingredients did you use for your gel food?

i used peas green beans brocolli little crushed garlic gelatine little bit of tuna .oh and acrushed down multi vit with no iron

i see you can get freeze dried blood worms too,or is the frozen better. thanks again

Edited by sumer

• Supporter

don't know about the freeze dried ones, i cannot advise you on it as i can't get it here.. which means i have no personal exerience to share with you on that one.. i use the frozen bloodworm.

seeing as you have a fancy fish, i would recommend against using broccoli in your gel food. broccoli creates gas and this may give your blackmoor swim bladder problems..

there are plenty of good ingredients in your gel food to be able to just omit the broccoli without having to substitute it with anything else.

all the foods you use must be salt free. if you decide at any stage to use sardines instead of tuna, you will need to remove the spine and ensure the sardines are the springwater ones. even though a food is in springwater, it can still contain salt, so choose the one that has the least amount of salt in the supermarket. ie, the frozen peas here, none have NO salt.. so i have to go with the ones that have the least salt.

oh dear ,i will make another gel food ,then and not use the brocolli.

he has been suffering with whites string poop , ithought he was constipated but someone said it could prob be stress as im cycling at min

today i have fed him about 10am and he hasnt pooped yet and its now 2pm, i hope he isnt constipated. oh dear ,this is all new to me

• Supporter

no need to panic.. it's fine.. okay.. here, for the rest of today and tomorrow, feed him nothing but peas the way we discussed. so replace each meal with peas.. this should fix any constipation he will have.

peas are a laxative to fish.. you will see, he will begin to poop normally again. don't throw the gel food out, you can still use it until it's finished. some members feed broccoli with no side effects to their fish. lots will advise against it, but it's upto the fish in the end ;)

fish can become constipated from stress too.. so there's no definate saying what's causing the white stringy poop.. the cycling or the broccoli. right now, i would guess it's the cycling..

ahh frozen is great for fish! get a cube, "defrost" it by presoaking in tank water, then toss in the cube, and your fish will just go crazy for them! they will attack that cube like if they were hungry dogs chasing steak. hahah well thats just with my fish, mainly the tropical. they get very excited. i guess if you are squeemish then the frozen one will look weird, all the blood worms dangling and what not. dried blood worms are great though as well, but it feels like you have to get a lot more to feed the same as a cube. you can presoak em as well but i feel that they sort of get ruined. because dried ones have a whole different feel and texture to them so the way it reacts to the water seems different. if you are used to feeding your fish twice a day or once, then i suggest just follow the usual. i feed my fish once to twice a day, add variety, as well as veggies and waht not. all up to you. hope it goes well. oh and as for sinking pellts, same rules apply, but the pre soaking.. i dont do to often as they sink right away. when i pre soak it feels like they dont see it and it goes by to past.

Edited by jls25

We fed our Ranchus the frozen bloodworms tonight they went crazy we microwaved the cube, we fed 3/4 to the four Ranchus and the other little bit to our Betta. It's always so satisfying seeing them gobble something up and having a variety to give them.

It's so fun to feed them, they know now and all zoom into one spot or come closer to the surface just waiting for their treats! Cute little guys/girls (I wish I knew what sex they all were!)

Guest Mike and Linda

I make 2 different gel foods at the same time but I do freeze them in 3 freezer bags so they do not get freezer burn. I keep the gel for about 4 months.

I use 4 veggies in 1 gel. Grn beans, dandilion leaves, kale, collards, parsley, beet grns, fresh spinach, leeks things like that i stay away from broccoli, asparagus, anything that is gassy I do not use.

I do use red peppers, pumpkin. I managed to get 4 different recipies from the GAB when I first started to do fish.

I feed usually only gel food, blood worms, shrimp, frozen spirulina, peas. I have never given thes fancy fish any pellets though.