Hello

Seymoura

Hello, I'm new. My name is Karen, but my fish's name is Seymoura (started out as Seymour, but found out that he's a she - but I still call her Seymour sometimes)

Seymoura's a common goldfish that a kid won for me at an elementary school fundraising fair last year. She started out about an inch long, and now she's almost five!!!!

She lives in a 10g in the school library. I'm the Library Lady (but I ain't no lady, thank you very much - I burp and scratch myself - and I'd swear a blue streak if it weren't for the kids - then again, the kids do teach me new swear words in different languages.....)

Two weeks ago, when the 6th grade class was visiting, there was a kid, Julian, who would just NOT SETTLE DOWN (there were girls in the room, omg) - I had him sit next to the tank, and a few minutes later, when I looked over my shoulder - Julian was quietly looking at Seymoura, and Seymoura was quietly looking right back at him. I just love that fish for her magic calming powers.

Right now, her tank is just gravel and anacharis to munch on, but one day, I would like to have a planted tank. I joined Koko's so I could see the pictures of members' tanks.

• Supporter

hi karen!.. welcome to koko's, lovely to meet you.. we have two forums here that may interest you, here are the links..

here's the how to for the goldfish tanks & equipment:

koko's goldfish tank forum

and here's our tank photos and video section:

tank photos and video section

please post pics of Seymoura, we'd love to meet him/her..

Hello and welcome to Koko's! :)

What a nice story about your fish! I can't wait to see photos.

As you are already planning on changing the tank I just want to throw in real quick that common goldfish should have at least a 20 gallon tank, as they can grow between 8 and 12 inches in length and like to swim around a lot. So when you change to a more planted tank, you might want to look into a larger size tank too, I'm sure Seymoura will absolutely love it :)

That's a great story. I find watching Fluffy swim around very relaxing, too.

Seymoura sounds like a great addition to the school.

Welcome to Koko's!

Hello and welcome to Koko's! :)

What a nice story about your fish! I can't wait to see photos.

As you are already planning on changing the tank I just want to throw in real quick that common goldfish should have at least a 20 gallon tank, as they can grow between 8 and 12 inches in length and like to swim around a lot. So when you change to a more planted tank, you might want to look into a larger size tank too, I'm sure Seymoura will absolutely love it :)

I wanted to get a larger set up, but I am poor (I work in a public elementary school library in a low-income neighborhood in California. CA is not known for its support of public schools much less public school libraries. I think the powers that be figure that the kids could use the public libraries - well not all kids have parents who can take their kids to the library, some work 2 or 3 jobs, or transportation. sorry. I'll get off my soapbox....)

I keep looking on craigslist, but I don't feel fully confident to judge if the used aquarium is in working order - will look on other forums to see if advice was given re:used aquariums.

Another issue is finding enough counter space....

Welcome! What a wonderful story of the calming powers of goldfish :) Can't wait to see pics :welcome

This week the school is out. (Don't worry, I have an auto feeder plus extra anacharis for Seymoura to feed on.)

I'll get a pic, it's just the tank is not as pretty as some I've seen. But one day!....

When my beloved Significant Other (SO) saw me looking at the online goldfish forums, he had a bit of a meltdown - when we met, I had a cat - he was aghast: "I can handle a cat. But I don't know if I can handle a cat and a fish." (the fish is at school, but will come home during the summers, last summer Seymoura lived with my mother because of the cat)

Welcome! What a wonderful story of the calming powers of goldfish :) Can't wait to see pics :welcome

This week the school is out. (Don't worry, I have an auto feeder plus extra anacharis for Seymoura to feed on.)

I'll get a pic, it's just the tank is not as pretty as some I've seen. But one day!....

When my beloved Significant Other (SO) saw me looking at the online goldfish forums, he had a bit of a meltdown - when we met, I had a cat - he was aghast: "I can handle a cat. But I don't know if I can handle a cat and a fish." (the fish is at school, but will come home during the summers, last summer Seymoura lived with my mother because of the cat)

Hi there, nice to meet you. My husband feels the same way.... only we have about 9 pets at home incl. my two fish...

Can't wait to see photos of Seymoura. She sounds like a wonderful fish. :)

I'm the Library Lady (but I ain't no lady, thank you very much - I burp and scratch myself - and I'd swear a blue streak if it weren't for the kids - then again, the kids do teach me new swear words in different languages.....)

Hi Karen...I think you're going to fit in here just fine!

Glad to have you with us, welcome aboard! :hi

Here are some pics

Seymoura in her tank

DSC02962.jpg

Tito visiting with the fish

DSC02964.jpg

I want to put a terra cotta pot in the tank so she has a "cave". I've been eyeing a t-rex bubbler @ mmm, (I'd prefer plants, but I know that the kids at school will love the dino....)

I do 2x/week wc (roughly 50-75%).

I'd like to go bare bottom, I think the gravel makes the water look yellow-ish, but need to get the tubing to reach the bottom of the tank. Maybe a stronger filter? (it's the one that came from the kit - I think its a TetraFin set up (was on sale @ nnnn for ~$50 for the kit) - THIS IS A REALLY EXPENSIVE $0.25 FISH!!!! But I'm fond of her... :heart:heart

THIS IS A REALLY EXPENSIVE $0.25 FISH!!!! But I'm fond of her... :heart:heart

:rofl I can totally relate. My common was worth 25c too and he now owns a 15 gallon tank and loads of other expensive equipment. ;)

:welcome and your Seymoura is very cute. She must love all the attention she gets from the kids. :)

Thank you Kerstin, Caitie, and Wigglies for your kind comments.

As I mentioned in my intro, I won Seymour(a) at a school fundraiser. Michael (a/k/a "that punk," as he is known in the Teachers' Lounge) tossed a ping pong ball into a little bottle (no fish in there), and won Seymour for me. I thought of naming the fish after Michael (a/k/a "the Punk"), but he wasn't too open to the idea & I didn't want to embarrass him - he and I have a working relationship, and he can be okay, when he wants....

The kids at the school love the fish and give her drawings - I rotate the pictures behind the tank as they come in....

Today, when the 6th graders (the kids range in age between 11-13) came in, Tito was getting on my last nerve, so I had him sit by the tank. He later told me that he had a tank full of gf at home - and that fish are calming. I might let him help w/cleaning the tank.....

I like having Seymoura in the school library, maintaining the tank does eat into my time doing my library duties, but I'm happy that she's there. I might teach the kids how to test water, and keep an observation log, (and if they'd lug the buckets of water to and fro, that would be prime......now if they'd only wash my car....)

• 1 month later...

THIS IS A REALLY EXPENSIVE $0.25 FISH!!!! But I'm fond of her... :heart:heart

:rofl I can totally relate. My common was worth 25c too and he now owns a 15 gallon tank and loads of other expensive equipment. ;)

:welcome and your Seymoura is very cute. She must love all the attention she gets from the kids. :)

As can i lol my common Wizz'et (RiP) made it to a 30gal tank to herself with epic filters and such before she got a tank mate XP.