Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Mary Poppins' Dropsy...

So should I try putting a male in or put her in the main tank?

Also the problem is that she is in 0.3% salt. So whoever I move I need to slowly also raise in salt.

I have mine together. give them some nest material such as filter floss and cottom or nice plants.pH is important, temperature is medium important, salt content is not important.

okey here they are. so she seems slightly prickly, but I am not too sure how much of that is her normal scale look - she always had more defined scales. I also took some (foggy) pics of her side so you can see her tummy. She looks like this most day - raised dorsal, just swimming around.

I am wondering if it could also just be some issue related to stunting? Her eyes are pretty big compared to her body (???)

DSCN3660.jpg

DSCN3661.jpg

DSCN3662.jpg

DSCN3663.jpg

DSCN3664.jpg

DSCN3666.jpg

DSCN3667.jpg

DSCN3668.jpg

Looking alot better hun i would say almost all healed now :)

Honestly, in my opinion she doesn't look dropsied at all. Calcifer has those same more pronounced scales around his butt and it is his normal. If that makes sense. He has always looked that way. She does have big eyes, but it might just be the way she has grown...hard to say.

I think she looks good and acting normal is a huge plus.

Thanx girls! I am really happy with her :) I hope that I gave her all she needed. She is really a sweetie!

I agree with you Amy about the scales - she always had them a little more defined - I think she is almost good now - I can especially see this in her chin area - what was very prickly in the beginning :)

I will keep doing what I am for a few more weeks until the Jungle is done and then slowly take out the salt. No point in rushing it if she is doing fine. :) I will supplement the Jungle with some veggies and protein.

I am really happy about her nice belly - I was really afraid in the beginning that it would be a replay of the horrific thing that happened to my dear Penelope :( But she had become anorexic looking very fast - Poppins seems to be hanging in there good, and her fins look very healthy, slowly she is also getting her color back :)

She's looking good! :)

Wow I hope she gets better soon :) Keeping fins crossed :D

You guys, she is looking even better today :D she is totally flat and her black is really coming back well :D

You guys, she is looking even better today :D she is totally flat and her black is really coming back well :D

Fantastic news. :Congrats:

Thought I would update the thread. She has been off Jungle AP now for about a week. Still in 0.3% salt for now tho.

These are pics of her today. As you can see the right side is still a TINY bit prickly. Not sure if this is just suppose to be a 'normality' for now. She is still acting fine and always very hungry. No signs of eggs. She has been doing some clamping so I took a scrape today and no signs of parasites. I will continue to observe her for a while still. Maybe by the end of the week I try and go down to 0.2% salt. Hopefully in a few weeks she can go back in the 85Gal. Oh and her color is almost back to absolute normal - nice strong black has come back :)

DSCN3879.jpg

DSCN3875.jpg

She's looking great. I can't wait to see her back in the main tank with the others. :)

Something real strange happened. I noticed the other day that she was bottom sitting a lot - compared to before when she never did. So I took a body scrape and didn't find anything (just looked for anything that moved like the vet showed me). THen last night I did a water change and decided not to add the salt. This morning she is lots better. I think I had a salt creep! It is really hard to measure the correct amount of water just by looking at the % of tub - because by now it has totally lost its shape. Once she gets out of if I think I really need to measure the amount with pitchers maybe and then write the amounts on the side of the tub. Poor little Poppins! :o

Something real strange happened. I noticed the other day that she was bottom sitting a lot - compared to before when she never did. So I took a body scrape and didn't find anything (just looked for anything that moved like the vet showed me). THen last night I did a water change and decided not to add the salt. This morning she is lots better. I think I had a salt creep! It is really hard to measure the correct amount of water just by looking at the % of tub - because by now it has totally lost its shape. Once she gets out of if I think I really need to measure the amount with pitchers maybe and then write the amounts on the side of the tub. Poor little Poppins! :o

To prevent salt creep I weigh the salt on kitchenscales and I count the buckets I take out. Halveway do a big waterchange or a total one to eleminate al the salt, so you can start fresh ;)

I always use the kitchenscale and the % of the tank I take out. I usually do 50 or 75%. But I have a feeling that maybe 75 might be closer to 65 etc. Very strange! (cause I use a python so I don't measure the buckets I take out) But she seems okay today :)

next time you might want to perform the "TT" system of salt control of creeps.

that is you taste test the water. first taste the water yu add to tanks, next taste water of vary % so you know what a high salt water content tastes like. is a very simple test and easy to perform and costs is zero.

:Dont-Believe: sounds gross! maybe I can get boyfriend to do it! :carrot:

:rofl

great solution ;):lol1

Alright. I am almost afraid to say it but I think she is dropsy free guys. :)

I haven't seem any prickliness is a while now. Her colors are all good and her body (shape/fat etc) looks good to me. I would like to put her back in the tank except that she has a new/strange thing going on. Maybe you guys can give me some advice.

So, ever since I told you guys about the possible salt creep - where she perked up right away. I have been seeing her bottom sit on occasions. It isn't a happy/relaxing bottom sitting - she has all her fins clamps and is sort of 'bobbing' on the floor with the little current. Like if she weighs a ton. But if I walk up to her she will swim up - so it isn't SBD. She is still really obsessed with food. It seems totally unrelated to anything I have observed - days like yesterday she didn't do it at all - today she did it most of the day. I really don't know what could cause this. Even if I did a scrape - I still think of parasites first off. But when I did the scrape (where I didn't see anything that moved) she also didn't have much slime on her. My vet says that is a clear indication that she doesn't have parasites. But what else could it be?

She has no salt in her tank right now - temp is 26 still from dropsy treatment. She is eating various nourishing foods from pellets to frozen foods to veggies. Parameters are all monitored and I still do a water change daily (I think this is also what helped me through all the dropsy cases). Should I prazi? Should I let her be and keep watching?

----

I will use the same thread to also update you guys on Archie. He showed signs of dropsy about the same time as Poppins but it took longer to evolve. His also started from the butt area. About 2 weeks after Poppins I put him in a hospital tank - it was all over his body. Unlike Poppins he didn't respond to 0.3% salt. So for about 5 days now I have had him in epson - it seems to be working as his scales are definitely much flatter today :)

I can't help but think that the two are related. Both fish came from the same (bad) source and the others in the 85Gal are healthy. I am also wondering if maybe Archie could be female and it is all egg related?! (I don't THINK I ever saw breeding stars on him). Maybe they are both wired in the same biological clock or something? And something went wrong??? Very strange...

Again, any ideas or thoughts welcome.