Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Mary Poppins' Dropsy...

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that you recently changed the temperature in your tank? I wonder if that could have triggered the hormone responses?

I think I wanted to change the temp of the 85Gal to make it colder - never really succeeded for now!

Update. There is DEF something funky happening with her scales. I have been keeping a close eye on them and the pine-coning seems to come and go. Remember when I was all happy that she was flat a while back - well she does get flat at times. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't related to either water changes, feedings or what not. I am not too sure what is happening!

Obviously when my friend came last night her scales were looking great - :doh11: So he just said to continue with the salt (I am now at 0.3 - might go up to 0.4 we will see).

I will also take a picture to my other friend of the goldfish, but apparently he doesn't think it is eggs....

Anyone have any ideas?

update.

I just did her evening water change. she is still at 0.3% salt. I might try 0.4 tomorrow. Should I go up to 0.35 first? I am a little afraid!

I noticed a change - her belly is swollen, even my boyfriend noticed. but, the scales are rather flat. She looks like a well fed/muscly fish - not golfball looking for now.

So either it is BAD news and it is fluid? Or it is relatively good new: Eggs growing (or however you may call it)? Or she is putting on weight?

I also forgot to mention that I have been feeding her Jungle AP for 3 days now. I thought it was a pretty good all round thing - and I hope it would work in case of an egg impaction??? Instead of doing it non stop like the MMs I am taking the parasite route and feeding only 4 days a week.

Her color is still rather pale - but not worse. She is still very hungry. Very good poops today. I hope she recovers soon :(

I wish I had some ideas :( I forgot, what are you using the salt for again? If she seems a little swollen, I wonder if epsom might be good to try again? It's so hard to know what's best...

I was using epson in the real beginning - it didn't work.

Then I read in fancy goldfish PLUS my friend in holland said to use plain salt and raise it to 0.6% (so far I am 'blocked' at 0.3%!). Her dropsy is only in the butt area, so on fancy goldfish it says it could be parasitic?????? no clue.

Oh, that's right okay. Well it sounds to me like you're doing everything you can. I hope things start to look better soon!

Update.

Today is a good day for Poppins I think. I took some pics of her so you guys can see what I mean about her putting on weight.

What do you guys think of her scales? They seem to be less pine-coned right? I also think she is looking a little less lobster colored!

All I can think of about the weight gain is - eggs in tummy? Jungle AP has killed intestinal worms? Fluid?

DSCN3655.jpg

DSCN3654.jpg

DSCN3653.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Her scales look good to me. :) It might be eggs making her tummy bigger or else she is just growing. I know with Bandit whenever the AP food killed off any worms then he would get really skinny.

Edited by caitie

Poppins is looking better! Yay!!!!! I'm sending Positive thoughts that things keep moving in the right direction :)

thanx guys! she is peeking out at me again :) I do think she is getting bored of staying in there alone.

So far I am doing 2x daily w/c and she is still at 0.3%. I won't change any of that. (temp is 26C). I will do the entire month of Jungle AP with the 3 days a week thing.

Edith what do you think it could be?

I am feeding some krill tonight so she gets some protein :)

It does seem like you are doing all you can. She really doesn't look so bad at all :) . I was expecting more bloat.

How exactly is she behaving now? Perfectly normal? Or bouts of bottom sitting and lethargy?

hey imo!

so this morning she is slightly prickly again :( I really don't know what causes these changes... I will get some pics.

She behaves really happy and VERY hungry. Like when I feed her it is similar to when you feed dogs - always seems like she is starving. She wasn't like this before.

She never bottom sits no. Neither is she lethargic. She will usually just swim around her tank and look a lot out at me when I pass by.

What I noticed is that sometimes her balance is off - she rests with her head slightly up.

Her scales look good to me.

She has gotten a nice tummy

I hope she heals up fine

yes her scales looked not so bad in the pic to me too, but if she gets prickly and then it goes down again, it is hard to get a pic of it at the right time I suppose.

It's strange as I have been thinking 'eggs' all along here, and prickly scales can go with that, but all my egg bound or egg absorbing females when they got really fat would bottom sit or top mope for short periods....but that was always with boys around.......with no fellers in the tank maybe she has less need to rest...I have to say the VERY hungry part fits egg making very well.

The hanging head up bit...is that new?

No the hanging head up is how I noticed she was acting off in the main tank - she sort of uses her tail as a 'stand' to rest on???

I sure hope it is eggs! What can I do for her? I contacted my vet, but I am not too sure he is very experienced with goldfish. :( He wants to do an ultrasound on her? Is there any purpose of that? I mean, lets say he sees eggs in the ultrasound, then what? We are back at the same point right?

Do you think she needs a male? I can put Pixel in with her! He even thinks he can seduce men!

Do you think I should feed less medicated food and more nutritious/protein food? That helps with egg making right?

Do you think she needs a male? I can put Pixel in with her! He even thinks he can seduce men!

:rofl

It is an option...but if he chases any fish round looking can this be proof?

I would finish the AP course now its started but I dont think this is disease. Even worms...her poo looks fine still yes?

Have you tried very gently cupping her to the surface and walking her round the top a little, sometimes this can release eggs..you could aslo feel if her stomach is rock hard (as it often is with egg impaction).

I can try feeling her tummy after. I usually really don't like touching these guys because they are not used to being handled - so it freaks them out a bit.

I will continue the AP and add some nutritious food on the days she is off it.

Poop goes from very good to stringy with bubbles - but I think that is the AP making her slightly constipated :o

Yes indeed, Pixel chases anything that moves! Soon he will turn into a giant breeding star!

Yes indeed, Pixel chases anything that moves! Soon he will turn into a giant breeding star!

:lol1:rofl

Update:

So she is flat AGAIN! Just did her evening water change and she seems to be picking up her black a bit again. :)

I have to check how long she has been on the AP. Now I am just focused on getting her her daily dose of it and I supplement the rest of her hunger with veggies mostly.

My friend from Holland is coming down tuesday and he is very able with the microscope. Would doing a skin scrap be beneficial at all? Is it possible to look for worms in feces under the microscope??? (even if it isn't worms probably)

She is going to drive you nuts, isn't she? :D I agree with Imo, it look as if it is related to eggs and not disease. She is just too healthy looking and she is not acting sick at all.

About the skin scape, do you think it might stress her out if she isn't used to being handled?

But if he can look at the feces and he knows what to look for then I guess it wouldn't hurt. If Poppins has worms (but I seriously doubt she has) he should be able to see worm eggs in her stool.

Did you try to walk her around the surface of the tank yet?

Hey Edith!

Yes she will indeed drive me up the walls! She keeps staring at me from her tank like - hey what exactly am I doing in here?!

The skin scrape I wouldn't do it myself for sure - I am still too nervous doing it, so I only do it with the ryukins who are really relaxed with being handled. My friend would probably be able to do it real fast and good she would barely realize.

Yea I also doubt she has worms with that belly on her now!

So then I will just continue with what I am doing. Hopefully she gets the point that she has to release the eggs!

Yes she will indeed drive me up the walls! She keeps staring at me from her tank like - hey what exactly am I doing in here?!

Hopefully she gets the point that she has to release the eggs!

she say" hey where is he"

"the point" is a male and today and for next two day is spawn day. mine are spawning right on time today for christmas hatch.

hi CFG,

I can only tell you what i have done with mine and the results as I am not a vet or biologist of fish do no feel qualified to perscribe for another .

Eggs time is a stress for our fish but natural and if given the chance all should proceed ok. I permit mine to spawn as they wish and that seems to be better in long run. also as we know our fish are the very best astronomers and know by lunar calcalating when is the right time (today and next few day). If she has a block or swollen ovary i would expect she be dead by now so low risk and all gain if she only need a little help?

Plus if she get to eat a few eggs that is very ok too

So should I try putting a male in or put her in the main tank?

Also the problem is that she is in 0.3% salt. So whoever I move I need to slowly also raise in salt.