Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Mary Poppins' Dropsy...

Thanx for the support guys :D

The pineconing is soooo hard to see now - hopefully in a few days she will be as good as new :) then I will keep her in higher temps till she finishes the MMs.

Oh I think the scales are flat!!!!!! :thumbs:

fantastic news :angelstaf:

I just took a good look at her and her scales around the butt are still slightly prickly. What worried me is that she has lost the darkness of her black colors on her tummy. She looks mostly grey with bright orange. The epson has been reduced to 1/2 a dose. Is the discoloration from the antibiotics stripping her tummy's natural defenses?

Her poop is fat with some bubbles in it.

How much longer does she have on the a/b food? Maybe some probiotics would be good-Jump Start or Saki Hikari?

So Sorry I missed this thread till now :( How Mary P doing today?I hope the scales continue to stay flat :) it does sound like an egg issue to me as well ;) have you tried walking her at all? I've heard that can help sometimes :) keep us posted :)

She is about 1/2 way done with the MMs Susan. I have the JumpStart ready for after.

Do you think I should keep her in the more sterile hospital tank while doing 2 weeks of JumpStart? I am afraid of her being extra vulnerable to any baddies now that she is so weak.

I was thinking of adding Garlic Juice to the MMs to give some vitamins - have any of you done that?

Her scales are still not 100% flat, but it is less obvious. She is still acting great.

@ Shell - I didn't walk her because I don't think she can expel the eggs anymore at this point. I think they have/are getting reabsorbed.

If it were me I think I'd put her in the sterile hospital tank just to keep her on the safeside. Then that way she'll be nice and strong and ready to go after the MMs

Is she having squiggly poos?

She is in the hospital tank since a week already since I had to treat her for dropsy with epson and heat. I will just keep her after I am done with the MMs and the entire course of JumpStart.

Yea she had squiggly poop the first few days. Now she has normal poop.

:D It sounds like she's doing much better and it sounds like a plan. :heart I hope she continues to do well and recovers ASAP.

okey so the scales are DOWN!!! :angelstaf:

I also think that the black is picking up again. :)

I am at day 8 of the MMs. I am doing until day 14 to be on the safe side and picking up with 2 weeks of JumpStart and veggies (she has become slightly constipated)

So, the question is - is she recovered or not??????? I got some pics to show you guys what she looks like now. She always had more 'defined' scales, but this looks still a little prickly right?

Right now she finished the 2 weeks MMs and had a 2 day fast and peas tonight. She seems to be having less good poops lately.

DSCN3508.jpg

DSCN3509.jpg

DSCN3510.jpg

Any opinions welcome please!

Yeah, it still looks prickly in the butt-area to me :( Sue (countrylovah) told me that it's okay to continue the metromeds for up to a month, I think it was? So maybe keep going with those for a little while longer. But it's strange, because I'd think if they were going to help, they would have finished the job by now. Know what I mean?

p.s. I see what you mean about the bright orange color! That's funky!

I think that if the MMs work it's in the first few days - the rest of the time (up to the 2 weeks), is just to make sure that all the bacteria is gone.

So at this point I am not too sure what to do. She is acting totally fine, and besides the prickliness she doesn't look swollen, like if there is any fluid.... :ignore

I was thinking of doing a few rounds of Prazi incase it is something relating to intestinal worms???

Fede,what about 1 more round of epsom and heat-to aid in flattening of the scales?

She is still in 26C. I am doing a small w/c now and will then re-add the epson. It is weird because she doesn't look like she is filled with fluid.

I did contact my vet and sent him the pictures. It is strange because now she looks flat - as she did a few days ago. It seems like an on and off thing....

okey so today she looks about the same as in the photos.

I need to find another med. I looked up Metro and it seems to be mostly for anaerobic bacteria. Also, it seems to be for some intestinal parasites (used for Hexamita).

So I can conclude that either it is something going on that is gram pos/gram neg aerobic bacteria??? Otherwise it is a more tricky intestinal parasite which needs Levimasole.

So at this point I have either: MediGold - which is too hard on the kidneys right?

: Maracyn 1 and 2 - have never used it before.

: Jungle AP

I am not sure which way to go. Advice welcome!!!

So far she is acting fine still, and still has the cooked lobster color.

I don't know if it helps you but it always does me to look at an xray type pic of a fish when dropsy or lifted scales are in one area only. It looks like the lifted scales are confined to the butt area by which we mean right behind the anal vent yes?

If you imagine the gonad area swollen, you can see how easy it is for that in turn to push on the muscle and organs nearby.

Fish-Anatomy.jpg

Did the bubbly zigzag poop look like anything at all like this (this is a pic of re-absorbed eggs and this fish also dropsied and top hangs/bottom sits when she is absorbing)

P1020425-1.jpg

The bubbles are different from gas poop because they are jelly. They are heavier than empty bubbles so do not line up but rather...boggle...:blink: