Ph

sasha

the ph out my tap is 7.4 .

but out of the tank it is 8.2

this is worrying me as what can i do to even it out

could this be causing my fish stress and causing the white stringy poop

someone before has asked if i have coral in my tank but no

i have an airstone, 2 bridges, soft fern artificial plants, gravel, and an anarchis plant

what would be causing my ph to be so high in the tank

i also use prime but i didnt think that made a difference

please help

I have 7.4 out of tap and 8.4 in tank. I age my water in a tub with an airstone for 5hrs. The pH is equal by then.

Usually lower tap pH is caused by all the gasses in it.

I have the exact same pH situation in my tank. The reason is because the water out of the tap is under pressure and contains more gasses. As the water sits in the tank, the gasses (mainly CO2) evaporate from the water and allow the pH to rise. A pH of 8.2 is not a problem at all, but you do have to make sure it's stable. You have two options here:

1. Get a plastic or glass container in which you can "age" the water with an airstone. It normally takes around 6-8 hours (but less time for a smaller volume of water) for the pH to match the tank, and then you can use that water to fill your tank during a water change. This way you can still do really large water changes.

2. When you do a 50% water change, remove half of the water, then refill only to 3/4 of the way. After a few hours, refill the tank all the way.

If I remember correctly, you have a 10 gallon tank with one goldfish, right? In that case, I think option 1 would be better, because option 2 only works well in a larger tank. I do option two, but that's because I have a 75 gallon tank, so even when it's halfway full the fish still have plenty of space to swim.

oh hello and thanks

i did do a little test the other week and i left a bowl of water to age for 24 hours and the ph was up at 8.2 .but i didnt use an airstone in it.

so i will do that in future . i have 2 big buckets to do that too.

so could that be the cause of the stress do you think

oh and i made the gel yesterday and he seems to like it. lol

i also have ordered sinking pellets saki hiraki lionhead, so hopefully things will improve vdry soon

i do worry you know lol

lol im opposite i love to cook

you guys have been so brilliant ,i want to say a big thank you to you. x

ive been on some other sites and when i was looking for help. they were very abrupt and patronising and it scared me. lol

i wish id found this place sooner xx

ps how do i know if my fish is a girl or boy lol

Aw I'm glad you're happy with Koko's! We pretty much all love it here :)

The girls will have a white nub kind of protruding from the vent (anus), while the males have an "innie" vent. Also males will get white breeding stars, which are white bumps on their gill covers and pectoral fins.

Here's an example of the "nub" on a female:

FemaleVent2.jpg

And here's breeding stars on a male:

tubercles.jpg

i did do a little test the other week and i left a bowl of water to age for 24 hours and the ph was up at 8.2 .but i didnt use an airstone in it.

the airstone is just helpful to accelerate the process and prevent bacterial buildup from stagnant water :)

ooh i never thought of that . i might get another airstone then , or what if i stir the water now and again.

i should still add my prime though for the amonia and nittrite to help make it less toxic.

ooh yes i bought them new and i rinsed them in hot water, ive never had detergents in them thanks again

Edited by sumer

yup I add my prime when I add the aged water to the tank as well. :)

when the aging buckets start to get slimy I usually rinse them out with some white vinegar - works fine.

very strange... anything in the tank that would get it more alkaline? Like shells, driftwood... hmmm...

Do you by chance know your KH and GH?