White Growth

zeobee

[*]Ammonia Level? 0-.25(I believe it is 0 but my test always reads .25 even on treated, aged water)

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Drop Kit

[*]Water temperature? about 67

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gal running for 5 years. Broken down 3 times due to moving

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Eheim Ecco 2236 and AquaClear 70

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 30-50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish each about 3-4 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead or homemade gel food every other day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Last fish added in September after quarantine period

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Only white growth on side

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acting perfectly normal

The growth started appearing on her side over a year ago and grew very slow at first. About 6 months ago it started to turn white and broke open. I swabed it with Hyrdrogen Peroxide once and it healed within a week but has started growing at a faster rate. To me it doesn't look anything like an ulcer and it isn't fuzzy like a fungal infection. The growth looks more like scar tissue or maybe a cyst. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a very clear photograph of the growth but I was hoping you guys would be able to give me an idea what this may be and if I should treat it or just leave it be. The growth hasn't affected her behavior one bit but I don't want to ignore the problem if there is something I can do to help her.

side2.jpg

side3.jpg

top.jpg

Hmm...I'm not sure, but hopefully someone who knows a bit more will have an idea. I am concerned about your nitrates being at zero. Is this a heavily planted tank? Is it cycled?

The tank is cycled. Usually the Nitrates are about 25 but I just upgraded my lighting system recently and had a HUGE green algae bloom while using NitraZorb. I meant to retest the Nitrates to double check my results but I wanted to get my question posted asap. I will confirm my results tomorrow though.

I don't think it's an ulcer, that would be more red and different looking. Sounds more likes it's viral, possibly Lymphocystis, however I am not 100% sure, here is some info on it....

Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.

Cause:

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish?s tissues, destroying its cells.

Treatment:

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish?s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.

I have retested my nitrates and tonight they are reading closer to 5 ppm.

BenJoly, so far I think your suggestion is the closest diagnosis. The only thing is she has had this growth for over a year and most descriptions of Lymphocystis say it heals within a few weeks. Secondly, she has been exposed to quite a few of my other fish and not a single one has developed symptoms although Lyphocystis is supposed to be highly contagious. Have I just been extremly lucky or could this be something else? Thanks again for everyones help, this has been a really mystery to me.

Is it causing her scales to lift at all? The last pic looks to me like they could be. Maybe just the angle/my eyes?

No, her scales aren't lifting. It just the light reflection in the picture making it look like that.

It almost looks like there is another cyst forming underneath the popped one. It's with such a red area that you haven't seen any flashing cause it looks like that red area is the result of either scratching or some type of internal swelling.

If you see trinket on at all I would pm her about this just in case she misses it. If she isn't on, I'll make a pot of coffee tonight and pour through everything I can find on reoccuring cysts and whatever else this might possibly be.

How is fishy acting today?

It almost looks like there is another cyst forming underneath the popped one. It's with such a red area that you haven't seen any flashing cause it looks like that red area is the result of either scratching or some type of internal swelling.

If you see trinket on at all I would pm her about this just in case she misses it. If she isn't on, I'll make a pot of coffee tonight and pour through everything I can find on reoccuring cysts and whatever else this might possibly be.

How is fishy acting today?

Thank you so much for your help! That red area you see in the picture is more like her scale coloring. Before she developed that growth she had red coloration there. The red may have been a warning sign but it has never been swollen, bloody or irritated looking until after the growth. She is also acting completely normal. Other than the growth she has had 0 other symptoms.

I have to admit that my children were being non cooperative at bed time so I didn't get any readings done on cysts. If it is a cyst regrowth there is baytril injections you can give your fish. Thinking upon this futher I realized that somethings you really need a vet to look at to determine. So I think if it isn't recedding or getting any better and if it actually starts getting worse, find a fish knowledgeable vet near you or online that you can discuss this with. You would have to get the baytril injections from a vet anyways.

This is out of my league and I really don't think a quick study will help me find new information. With cysts it's hydrogen peroxide, baytril, surgical removal. I don't know of any other steps or options. But I do know Imogen (trinket) could help, you can send her an IM. Or look up the old D&D topics on cysts/white growth and see if anything applies in your case.

Best regards.

First impression this looks like a chronic furunculosis to me but I may be wrong. The raging red around the white sore is not typical of many of the other white growth candidates. If this is what it is, it is caused by Aeromonas salmonicida bacteria or one of the subspecies. If it responded to the one HP swipe chances are good it is bacterial. I would also try an application of Bio-bandage. It looks like it is a localized infection so this alone may be enough if the fish has good immune strength. It may be the fish had a scale missing or some other prior surface damage allowing the bacteria to enter.

Often fish with bacterial growths have some other symptoms, ragged fins or lethargy, loss of appetite, bottom sitting....none of these at all? If not, this is a good sign and means it is surface only, not systemic.

You say you have had the fish a year but it only went into this tank in September yes? Obligate bacteria can lie dormant on a fish for months.

First impression this looks like a chronic furunculosis to me but I may be wrong. The raging red around the white sore is not typical of many of the other white growth candidates. If this is what it is, it is caused by Aeromonas salmonicida bacteria or one of the subspecies. If it responded to the one HP swipe chances are good it is bacterial. I would also try an application of Bio-bandage. It looks like it is a localized infection so this alone may be enough if the fish has good immune strength. It may be the fish had a scale missing or some other prior surface damage allowing the bacteria to enter.

Often fish with bacterial growths have some other symptoms, ragged fins or lethargy, loss of appetite, bottom sitting....none of these at all? If not, this is a good sign and means it is surface only, not systemic.

You say you have had the fish a year but it only went into this tank in September yes? Obligate bacteria can lie dormant on a fish for months.

I have actually had the fish for four years but I added a new fish to the tank in Sept. Other than the growth she is in perfect health and hasnt displayed any other symptoms. I will definitely give the Bio-bandage a try. Is that something I need to order online?

I am also on the hunt for an aquatic vet but Reno, NV is a smaller town and I haven't found one even in nearby states. The economy has also run most aquarium stores out of business so the usually people I would go to for scrapes are now gone. This is why I am so grateful for everyone's help here, without you guys I wouldn't have anyone else to turn to.

zeobee, do let us know how things go! I know aquatic vets are hard to track down anywhere..if bio-bandage does not work (and bear in mind it does need a daily dose for about one week usually) then you may need to QT and use an antibiotic, or maybe try some stronger cocktail antibiotic food like Medigold from Goldfish Connection. I have seen single growths like these clear up with bio-bandage alone where the fish is strong, behaving normally and with few other stress factors -as seems the case here.