Betta Attack!

us4298

I recently put my Betta fish (which I thoguht was friendly since it was in a display tank at my LFS with other guppies) with my Guppy. Today I found it chasing around my guppy and so I found my guppy hiding so I removed my Betta and isolated it in a cup. Now half of my Guppies tail is gone. What can I do to help it? What shoudl i do with my Betta?

Bettas should not be kept with guppies as their flowing, colorful tails make the Betta think they are competitors. And so he will end up attacking them.

So keep him separate from the guppy. I also think the guppy should have some other guppies so he's not all alone, the betta can do fine by himself.

The thing is that If I isolate my Betta, than it will be in a small container which will not have a heater, thus it will be about 62 degrees in his water, and he will not be happy. Is there anythign I can do?

I was actually thinking about giving one of them back, but I have already grown fond of my Betta, so I really don't want to give him back. Will a fish store take a guppy back if it has half of its tail ripped off?

i beg to differ with those who say bettas MUST be a lone. mine.. before it died, was with tetras, platies, killifish, loaches, plecos.. and some other fish, and it never harmed em. if you do, do a ten gal set up a few tetras will be fine. if its like a 5 gal.. maybe like 2 tetras atm id say. but a 5 gal i rather have the betta alone.. i feel like it looks betta(XD) that way. if the tank is fairly big.. then get this

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Accessories_Traps_Floating-3-in-1-Breeding-Trap_7260161_82.html?tc=default

then remove the inside parts and they usually come with suction cups and stick it in the inside and bam! i have two bettas in my 55 gallon which are in containers. before my other betta died he was roaming around freely in the 55 gallon fine. but his fins were sort of short.. tetras get too curious, so the new bettas have been in the container for months, water flow goes through nicely so no worries on water issues. and there is enough space it seems fine. they do great. keeps em safe, and no need for another tank.

i hope i didnt ramble off and didnt make sense as i am tired.

hope this helps though because well., giving back bettas just cant happen. they are soo cool!

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a 5 gallon tank and I will try to add 1-2 platies or a few ghost shrimp when it is cycled. Do you think that the Betta willg oa fetr it?

maybe in the 5 gal go for tetras. faster swimmer than platies. flower shrimp or vampire shrimp are great. smallest id go would be algae eating shrimp. as for shrimp as small as like cherry shrimp... no clue. but the shrimp i told you are fine, i have had em all, snails are obviously fine as well. only thing id advice is when feeding the fish, is that tetras and platies attack the food faster than a betta it seems. and so they might even think its tail is food which then means,.. shorter betta tail! :(

so you know what? id say the 5 gallon with a betta, plus a couple nice looking shrimp. get different kinds if you want. a nice moss ball because shrimp love em. and a nice snail, such as a zebra snail.

:D

im already imagining a beautiful tank in my head. haha i love heavily planted tanks, and since its a 5 gal, a bbunch of nice foreground and a few midground plants would be great!

what ideas do you have for this tank?

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a 5 gallon tank and I will try to add 1-2 platies or a few ghost shrimp when it is cycled. Do you think that the Betta willg oa fetr it?

maybe in the 5 gal go for tetras. faster swimmer than platies. flower shrimp or vampire shrimp are great. smallest id go would be algae eating shrimp. as for shrimp as small as like cherry shrimp... no clue. but the shrimp i told you are fine, i have had em all, snails are obviously fine as well. only thing id advice is when feeding the fish, is that tetras and platies attack the food faster than a betta it seems. and so they might even think its tail is food which then means,.. shorter betta tail! :(

so you know what? id say the 5 gallon with a betta, plus a couple nice looking shrimp. get different kinds if you want. a nice moss ball because shrimp love em. and a nice snail, such as a zebra snail.

im already imagining a beautiful tank in my head. haha i love heavily planted tanks, and since its a 5 gal, a bbunch of nice foreground and a few midground plants would be great!

For whatever reason they no longer sell 5/10 watt incandescent bulbs so my 5 gallon and 10 gallon can take all types of plants (high light particularly), one big amazon in the center may be nice with moss balls around it. I moved my guppies into my 10 gallon with some tetras and gave the betta the 5 gallon and he's loving it. Nice to have him on my desk all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it, I already have many plastic plants in the tank and it looks beautiful, I will upload a picture soon. But if I dont find any of those vampire shrimp, then can I just settle with Ghost, because I think cherrys are too small.

Platies are colorful and the bettas are apt to nip. I wholeheartedly agree with jls's idea about the betta and some shrimp. The bamboo shrimp you can get are pretty darn cool.

For whatever reason they no longer sell 5/10 watt incandescent bulbs so my 5 gallon and 10 gallon can take all types of plants (high light particularly), one big amazon in the center may be nice with moss balls around it. I moved my guppies into my 10 gallon with some tetras and gave the betta the 5 gallon and he's loving it. Nice to have him on my desk all the time.

yup i remember when they did the change.. i think its 15 watts now, but the fixture still works fine. i has em in my ten gals. i was worried when i got em but the lfs people were like for whatever reason they went from 10 to 15. didnt notice a difference though. unless its fluorescent

Also, I heard that platies were betta compatiable and were no tail nipping??

my platies never touched my betta. the tetras did. you could try platies, its really up to you, no horrible massacre will occur in the tank, but there may always be the occasional attack. up to you really.

Platies are colorful and the bettas are apt to nip. I wholeheartedly agree with jls's idea about the betta and some shrimp. The bamboo shrimp you can get are pretty darn cool.

i love me flower/bamboo shrimp.

overal US4, id really say try the shrimp, vampire or bamboo/flower shrimp (bamboo and flower are the same thing, diff. name) i think i tank like that would look amazing. very calming, versus the platies and/or tetras

It depends on your betta's personality as well.. one of my males is in a 10 gallon with ghost shrimp and does fine with them, but I do see him follow them around every now and then. My local pet stores only carry ghost shrimp, and they've worked quite well for me. (:

Alright, I'll definetely try and get some of those shrimp, but if not, will bigger ghost shrimp and amano shrimp work well?

definitely depends on your betta behavior.my other bettas used to be aggressive then they calmed down. but ghost shrimp, amano shrimp and the ones i have said before all seem to be a reasonable size. i guess you can go first for like algae eating shrimp or ghost shrimp as they tend to be cheap to purchase. if they do well you can get the better and larger looking bamboo/flower shrimp which are a bit more. Vampire shrimp are pretty darn expensive. 12-18 dollars for ONE. but they are huge and tough guys.

Sounds intereseting, but I think Ghost Shrimp would be my best bet, since it will be the first shrimp that I have ever had. After getting used to them, I'll definetely try to get different kinds.

Btw, If I get the ghost shrimpa and my Betta starts to attack, and I trade my Betta for a Gourami, would it be possible for me to have 1 honey gourami with several ghost shrimp? I read of many different experiences online and Im wondering what all of you think.

Btw, If I get the ghost shrimpa and my Betta starts to attack, and I trade my Betta for a Gourami, would it be possible for me to have 1 honey gourami with several ghost shrimp? I read of many different experiences online and Im wondering what all of you think.

i would prefer a betta over the gourami, but aside from that, i have had dwarf gourami's and they never touched the shrimp. both the algae eating shrimp which are like ghost shrimp size, and my bamboo shrimp. so they would be fine. i THINK the honey gouramis though get sort of big, so it might not go well in the long run. if the tank is a 5 gal.. which i think it is, cant remember now, then id keep the betta. make sure you got good plants, and they all usually hide and have their spots. eventually they claim their land you could say.

lol, Thanks for all of your help. I will update when I get the shrimp.

my pleasure, hope it all goes well. wouldnt mind too to see those plastic plants convert into live plants at one point. maybe once your shrimp settle well i guess we can start talking or you can do research on that set up if youd like. a bit more work, but personally, so worth it.