Question About Color Change

number20121

Can a fish change color even if she hasn't changed color ever since she was little?

I got my Blacky Fishie for 18 months and today I noticed that there are 4 scales on her left side and 1 scale on her right side that are shiny and orange looking.

I first thought this morning that she scraped herself somehow, but I just carefully held her in my hand just under the surface of the water so she held still, and this does not look like an injury or disease but shiny orange or yellow scales. :huh:

Gah, please don't change color to all orange :doh11: I'll have to find a new name for you!

Oh. Oh man. :doh11:

Well, we will see. At first I panicked because of all the horror stories about pleco and goldfish and I was about to accuse Sucky Fishie of nibbling on Blacky Fishie last night.

But those are definitely orange or yellow scales. You can tell because they are metallic while the rest of her is matte.

It is hard to determine the exact color as they are single scales on black background. I hope she will stay at least partly black, so I can still call her Blacky Fishie. If not, I gotta come up with a new name.

I just wish I had a working photo camera to document the change.

I don't know if I am disappointed or excited :unsure::)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Yes she'll most likely turn orange although you may have luck like with Dee Dee's Salem. He's got white on his belly rather than orange. Similarly with Link. He's got that white instead of orange. :o What color's her belly?

I'd say dark gray. It doesn't look white like Link's at all but it is not orange either. It is quite dark, but not as black as the rest of her. And her belly is more metallic than the rest of her.

Here is what her belly looks like right now. Photo is about a month old

BlackyFishieOctopus.jpg?t=1290383182

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Hiya Fang, truthfully I don't count on any of my GF staying the same color any more. Ever since Bojack went from a jet black moor to completely orange I've become a total believer and actually the keeper of the phrase:

Ahem...in my best Batman voice... "Goldfish are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

;)

Unfortunately it all comes down to the genetics of the fish. With black being the most unstable color, it isn't unusual for them to change from black to gold since over the years black moors have been inbred with other colors and breeds thus weakening the color. I just hope that Jet and Magoo keep their color but deep down I'm not going to count on it. No need to be disappointed though Fang, she'll always be your Blacky Fishie no matter what! ;)