My Horror Story

Around five years ago, I acquired a very nice group of Geophagus 'Tapajos orange head'.

gtapajos_05.jpg?t=1290379629

At the time there was only a few people who had these in Canada and I was one of them. This group was just starting to breed but I was having a real hard time raising the fry. It came time to move again, we were slowing moving out of this place and we were already living in our new place but I would go back to feed all my fish and start doing some cleaning in the house. The tanks and fish were going to be the last thing I move out. So on the day that I had decided to move these guys I went to the house and when I went down to the fishroom I found all my "tapajos" dead. I was devastated, I quickly check all my filters, heaters and anything and could not find anything wrong. The water dead have a little bit of a soapy film on it and then it hit me. The night before I was doing some cleaning upstairs and then before I left I went down to feed the fish and I remember sticking my arm in the tank to check on a something behind some rocks. I must of had some kind of cleaning chemical residue still on my hands and I figured that's what killed all my fish. These are still one of my favourite fish and I hope to get a nice group again in the near future.

I now always make sure that my hands and arms are clean and dry before ever sticking them back in any tank. You learn from your mistakes and I will never do that again.

I think those of us that do learn from our mistakes and move forward are those who will become successful fanciers and breeders. That's an interesting story that we all can learn from. ;)

I am so sorry you lost your special fish. I had some soapy bubbles in a couple of my tanks before too but thank God it was only from the dishsoap I get at the healthfood store. The bottle says it's non-toxic and it must be cause all my fish survived and are fine. That's the only soap I use to wash my arms/hands when cleaning tanks.

• 1 month later...

I have more stories than I could count about how I learned many lessons of fish keeping. Its too bad that fish have to die in the process. But at least the lessons do help us to better care for the fish in the future.