Surface Breathing

enesta

This problem is in my permanent tank, separate issue than the new girl I acquired and am trying to cure. Since I got this new telescope, from the start she would breathe from the surface every now and then. I began treating with PraziPro to be safe - and that was about 20 days ago, I planned on doing it for a month. Today though the surface breathing got worse, she's been up at the same spot breathing from the surface a lot, minutes at a time. She doesn't seem to have any floaty issues. I have noticed her poop having air sockets/clear areas in it though. The other fish in the tank has no problems at all, seems healthy as ever. The fish in question likes to bud against and chase the other girl, not sure why still (according to KoKo they're both female).

I don't have a test kit on hand, but the tank is cycled and a few days ago I had the water tested at my LFS and everything looked great. I've searched for an answer to this, but all I can find is the same thing - not enough oxygen in the water. But I'm sure there's more than enough oxygen - two high powered filters and a 6 inch air stone in a 29 gallon tank.

I'm doing about 20-30% water changes every 3-4 days right now, feeding Omega 1 sinking pellets (pre soaked) and veggies at times.

Filters - Aquaclear 50 and Tetra Whisper. Temperature is 72/74

It could possibly be a bad habit. I've had fish who taught that habit to all the other fish and they all started doing it. Is this after a feeding? Sometimes they can still taste the food.

No not after feeding - but she is going to the same spot that she gets fed at in a colander (she hogs all the food from the other girl) ... so perhaps she thinks if she does that she'll get fed?

Without test levels it's hard to guess anything. If your pH is unstabilizing for any reason that's going to effect oxygen concentration. Brown algae also can consume oxygen. (don't quote me on that one, I just know that brown algae is bad algae) How is the surface agitation? Are there any 'dead pockets' where the new tank water isn't circulated. (cat in the way must wait...)? If there is a dead pocket of low circulation water, she may frequent it if having trouble keeping up with the current. If she goes there to rest then she may very well end up rushing to the top gasping for air.

These are all just theories with holes though cause I have no test levels to base anything on.

No not after feeding - but she is going to the same spot that she gets fed at in a colander (she hogs all the food from the other girl) ... so perhaps she thinks if she does that she'll get fed?

They might do that too. Sometimes I've seen they do it in the middle of the night and make those splashing noises. But some test levels might help too. How do their gills look if you can see them?

Well she's a very strong swimmer.. don't seem to be any dead spots either. I guess it's about time to get a test kit - I was recommended one on here before but I can't remember the name, is there a very popular one?

API Freshwater master test kit is the best way to go. If you hunt online like on Drsfostersmith and thatpetplace, you're more likely to find a good deal than at pet*co and pet*smart where the average kit runs you about $33. But it is well worth the money in the end.