New Fish Is A Bully...

kazaba

So, I have had a new calico telescope in quarantine for two weeks... I couldn't wait any longer so I decided to add her to the main tank today (she had no problems whatsoever during quarantine).

Well, she is a little troublemaker. She relentlessly chased my other two fish for a whole hour (they are both quite bigger than her), completely disturbing the peace. :veryangry: I am trying to study for an organic chemistry exam, so I decided to remove her and put her back in the QT tank because it was annoying me. I was so surprised she would be the one doing the chasing! I have no idea what to do, I really like this new fish, but I don't want her injuring my other fish by chasing them (it was getting kind of brutal). Is this normal, what should I do? :( :(

*edit* Some info about my tank: it's a cycled 40 gallon long, with my two other fish, a 3 1/2 inch oranda, and a 3 inch ryukin.

Edited by Kailey

I have never tried this, and to be honest I have no clue if it would work for goldfish or not. I know you can train out behavior with other animals so maybe goldfish too?

Anyways, is there anyway to get a floating plastic colander or a breeding box that you could put him in when he bullies? Lol. This sounds ridiculous and I have no clue if it would work or not, hopefully someone else will come along with better advice lol.

Sometimes this seems to happen when new fish are added. Usually it dies down. In the meantime, perhaps a tank divider would let everyone get used to each other. Do you have fake plants in your tank? I've heard of people moving them around thereby "changing" the environment and that helping.

Ok I did a bit of reading up on it and I agree with spillee. This may just be temporary. Observe how they are while feeding, find a way to separate them for the first little bit, find out if these are mating behaviors you are witnessing.

This is a Recent bully that has popped up and this is an excellent way to feed them.

I've read where some fanciers move the bullying fish back and forth from the main tank and the QT tank on a daily basis for lengthening periods of time to gradually get them accustomed to each other. A tank divider may help also until they be accustomed to each other as well. You can also try to rearrange your tank to remove any established territories.

When I add a new fish I always change up the tank, add a big bunch of fresh disinfected anacharis and something yummy on the feeder clip. Distraction works well. Then I also run at least one dose of prazi on the main tank (this is after a four week qt with prazi and salt of the new fish). If you still have a bully, the colander can work, but for me the only thing that has worked is a two to three week QT and then trying again. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone! I actually tried shutting off the tank light and putting her back in the main tank before leaving the house for a few hours. Turns out that a time-out really works! It seems everyone is getting along much better now, even during feeding. I also just handfed everyone some blood worms :D Hopefully all stays well! Thanks again! :)