Can We Make Ornaments?

Cynders

I had posted a similar question a while ago (with unfortunately no replies I think) because I was thinking about making some ornaments myself if I ever feel really inspired.

I found with google that some people supposedly painted them with plain acrylic paint and spray paint and if you let it dry long enough it won't harm the fish. Supposedly.

I think buggy's right about it, you paint it with acrylic and then do a waterproof coat. I think I saw a member had repainted those shinto arches at pet*co. Lemme see if I can find it.

Here it is. Painted ornament She coated it with resin it looks like.

Edited by Haruka

I jus tread online you can use regular polymer clay (I've got TONS of it) and acrylic paint, and coat it in marine-grade resin to waterproof seal it. :yeah: This should be a very fun project.

You can use a two-part expoxy paint. Basically pool paint or pond paint. The only problem would be might be a bit expensive if you wanted to paint detail on project. Pretty much all my fake plants decor is homemade. I use a piece of slate or other rock, platics plants from the dollar store and aquarium safe silicone. I silicone the plants to the rock and sometimes hides the silicome and bottom of the plant by placing aquarium gravel on the silicone. Works great if you use the same gravel you have in your tank.

Somebody does actually have some home-made ornaments in their tank, a lighthouse and a turtle, that a friend made specially out of aquarium safe materials. One of the key things is to use a lead-free glaze. I can't for the life of me remember who it was...I want to say Jeana but I'm not sure! They have a comet in with some fancies in a massive tank...

About the paint: I just checked Home Depot's website and they sell 8oz jars of Behr Premium Plus Ultra Color Sample pond paint for 2.94 each :D

To paint ornaments in a tank you are not going to need a whole lot of paint, so you can easily afford getting four or five different colors and then just mix them to get different shadings.

http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

The website doesn't show a whole lot of different colors though, probably would have to look in person.

Oh, and I think if we are patient, we could probably mold ornaments out of silicone, or not? Like making a mold out of sculpey and then a copy in silicone. It probably would take quite a while to cure, but would be perfectly safe for the fish. I just wonder how well the paint will stick to silicone? Or I wonder if we can make ornaments fish-safe by coating it with silicone.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Ooh thanks for the link!

I think that would be way too hard, expensive and time consuming. :idont And like you said paint most likely won't stick to it and it might stick to the mold too.

• 2 months later...

Yep Devilduck...That was (is) me!! A former co-worker made all kinds of beautiful ceramic items. I asked her if she could make them for my aquarium & told her it HAD to be fish safe. She called each manufacturer of the stuff she used & asked specifacally if they were aquarium safe!!! And I have had them in for years. The important thing she found was to have it COMPLETELY sealed INSIDE & OUT with aquarium safe sealant!!!! If they aren't completely sealed they will break down in the water over time.

I have had the turtle she made in my big tank for years with no problems. I still have the lighthouse but have it stored for now. I'll drag it back out sometime when I want to change stuff around again!

Guest glassbird

By the way, Krylon Fusion has proven to be fish safe, too. I have only ever seen it in spray form. But you could spray onto a piece of plastic wrap, and then pick it up with a brush for small areas. I have not done it that way, but have sprayed several other plastic items and used them in my tanks succesfully. But let it dry for at LEAST a week, and preferably a bit longer if you can stand it. I find that less than a weeks drying time can result in some flake-off, especially in areas with high water movement.