Salt

Migaloo

Just wandering if anyone keeps low levels of salt in their aquarium water permanantly?

I have added salt in the past as just a 'general tonic' for the fish.... but I dont really use it as part of my weekly routine...

How do you use salt? - Do you only use it if your fish are sick or to qt a new fish?

I'm just curious :peeka

Don't ever keep low levels of aquarium salt in your tank permanently. The fish don't need it and it's really not good for them. It's like continuing to take medicine all the time. It makes the bacteria you're trying to kill immune to it :o And that's not a fun idea.

Yes, only use it on sick fish and when they're better take it out.

I've always used salt to treat sick fish before trying and sort of meds. I do once in awhile add some salt to my tanks, especially with my african cichlids. Now that I am mainly keeping goldfish, i am experimenting with salts...

On a side note, my koi supplier keeps his stock tanks with high salt which I find a real pain as I have to slowly condition them into my stock tanks and ponds not to shock them.

Thanks for the replies guys :) I had been thinking about salt the other day and pondering over its uses (besides treating illness & QT). I had heard of people keeping salt in their tanks permanantly and wandered if anyone here did so and what the benefit of this could be - I was thinking perhaps as a possible preventative - but yes, I can understand the bad bacteria would become immune to it as Haruka says.

Boboda - thank you for Trinket's link! I hadn't come accross that one before - it was an interesting read and yes it did satisfy my curiosity!

Hakura - I wasn't planning on keeping my tank permenantly salted - just curious to learn more about how people use it :)

BenJoly - wow - that's very interesting that your Koi supplier keeps tanks with "high salt"... do you know what his reason is for doing so?

Thanks Koko - by the sounds of it, it seems this is how most people use salt in their tanks :)

Thanks again - I feel so much wiser aboout the whole salt thing now LOL

• Admin

Yeah i see some LFS having salt in the tanks all the time, but since so many parasites are becoming use to the levels we use to kill them, they just dont die. So I dont like to use it unless I need to so that those darn pests can be killed :)