Sign in to follow this  
sasha

White Stringy Goldfish Poop

i started my fish tank up on the 7th of nov and put in nutrifin cycle for the first 3 days.

i added my one goldfish to the tank 4 days later. its a 10 gallon tanks.

ive been doing about 40% water changes everyday and ive got an api masters testing kit too.i use prime with water changes

water temp 20

my tank readins have been 8.2 for ph

.5 amonia

.5 nitrite

40 ppm nitrate. it has been this way 3 days after adding the fish.

i didnt think id saee any niotrite or nitrate readings fer a week or so at least, but theyre there already

my tap water has nitrate of 40 ppm and amonia .25 and nitrite 0

my tank is still cycling /.

i took the white poop to the vets and they studied it and said it wasnt parasites or infection and that too much fibre. i think they meant to say not enough fibre as i only feed it flakes and pellets so far and they are high in protein.

it belly is a little bloated and the white stringy poop is most morns after feeding him

ive gave it shelled peas and brocolli one afternoon and its poo was green and normal looking.

yesterday i didnt feed him and today am thinking of just givinghim a shelled pea or two.

could this be stress causing it or constipation cause of the pellets and flakes, or overfeeding.

im going to make my own gel food ,i got a recipe of the internet.

would it just be best to feed the gel food and nobother giving my fish any flakes or pellets. oh i was soaking the flakes and pellets first so they would sink

sorry its so long my first post. can anyone help please

Edited by sumer

Stringy white poo is often a sign of stress. The goldfish is probably stressed from the presence of ammonia and nitrite, and the high levels of nitrate. 40 ppm is very high to be in the tap water. You would do better using water from a different source, although that will be more difficult for you to do. Typically with goldfish though, you don't want the nitrates ever getting above 20 ppm. You could try buying bottled spring water and maybe mixing (half and half) with your tap water to help out a little with the nitrates. Or you could invest in an RO system, but those are expensive.

You will want to increase your water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite below .25 ppm during this time. Cycling is very stressful on a fish, so I'm not too surprised the fish is having stress poos. The fish will be more comfortable if you can do larger daily water changes.

Also as an aside, one goldfish would be much more comfortable in a 20 gallon tank. A good rule of thumb to go by is allow 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 gallons for each additional fish. But still, you are off to a much better start than many people, who start off with three goldfish in a five gallon tank! Keep up the good work :)

EDIT: I'm glad you're going to try gel food, it's very nutritious and great for the fish! Yes, as long as the gel food has a good balance of veggies, protein, and vitamins you can feed only gel food. But variety is always good, so it wouldn't hurt to mix in a feeding of high quality sinking goldfish pellets every now and then. Remember to feed sparingly during cycling to keep the ammonia from getting too high.

Edited by Sakura

im not sure how im gonna resolve the nitrate in the tap water as yet

i will look into it. i have got an anarchis plant in too and air pump and marina filter not sure which one it is ,it came with the marina tank.i might get some more anarchis plants to go in, see if that can bring nitrates down a bit too.

so how should i go about feeding him today , as i hadnt fed him yesterday. if its stress will it make a difference what ever i feed him

the recipe i got for gel food is as follows

a cup of veg eg shelled peas brocolli carrots or any green vege s

half can of tuna

blend together and add the gelatin

i also wonder if adding soaked pellets or flakes to it and a bit of crushed garlic.

thanks for your reply x

oh ps what is ro

Edited by sumer

For today you can go ahead and feed him what you have. Just be sure to feed a small portion- no more than the size of his eyeball. I'm not sure about the recipe you have, but I will link you to a thread where there is a really great recipe. I use this recipe, except now I use salmon (comes in little packets) instead of sardines because I think sardines stink too much. Gel Food Recipe

Adding garlic is good. Fish find it very tasty, and some people even think it works as a mild anti-parasite agent. You can also experiment with adding goldfish flakes or pellets to the gel food.

RO is reverse osmosis. It basically takes the impurities out of the tap water so that it's safe for fish. You do have to add in a product after the water goes through the RO system though to add back the necessary minerals that keep the pH stable. If you want to look into this further, other members will be of more use than I will, because I've never had to use an RO system before. There are a couple people here who do use them though.

Edited by Sakura

thanks sakura for your help

i will take a look at the recipe also

so it looks like its stress poop, and will it eventually have normal poop.maybe once the cycling is over.

its just i worry ever so much x

You're very welcome! Yes, I think it's stress related. Just be sure to reduce the stress of cycling as much as you possibly can. :)

the lactobacillus tab and the centrum tabs for the recipe not sure i can get them in the uk ,is there another name for these vitamins thanks.

or can i make the recipe without these .

by reducing the stress of cycling do you mean large water changes and making sure the amonia an dnitrite nitrate levels stay low. sorry for all the questions

Yep, that's exactly what I mean by reducing the cycling stress.

The lactobacillus tab is just the common probiotic called acidophilus. It aids in digestion for the fish. I was able to find a little container of it (in pill form) at the pharmacy section of my grocery store. It's a good thing to add, but if you can't find it you can certainly make the gel food without it.

In place of the Centrum you can just use any multivitamin. Any multivitamin is okay to use as long as it doesn't contain iron. I just opted for the most basic multivitamin I could find at my grocery store.

Don't be sorry about asking questions :) We love helping people with their goldfish around here :D

I don't know it is in gel food but I noticed and heard from other members that broccoli tends to make fish floaty, so you might want to skip this ingredient. I also add soaked, mashed up pellets into the gel food, and crushed garlic makes them go crazy.

As Sakura pointed out, a 20 gallon tank would make your fish even happier. Look for something at your petstore that detoxifies nitrate. Best thing is PRIME but I heard it is difficult to get in the UK, most people there order it over ebay. You should look into that as prime is amazing. It removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and detoxifies Nitrite and Nitrate. Also provides slime coat.

Adding a bunch of plants might help a bit with the nitrate :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

thank you for your reply

i have been doing daily water changes and adding the prime to the water.

as in garlic makes the fish go crazy. do you mean they love it or they freak out lol

i am getting a bigger tank in a few months,

hoepfully cycling the tank doesnt take too long thanks again

Wow poor you with such readings in the tap water! Just another thing to make this hobby crazier! :ignore

What I suggest is that you 'age' your water for water changes using Zeolite. I use Zeolite in my temporary/uncycled tanks. You can find it in the form of little rock/pebbles in the pond sections of garden centers of LFS. What you can do is - fill a 10Gal tub or even 5-7Gal with tap water. Put in an airstone and hang the zeolite (in a stocking or media bag) right on top of the airflow. This will make it absorb the ammonia you have in the water (not sure about nitrates tho). This will really help - it will take a few hrs I guess. Then once your water tests 0 ammo you can do your w.c. You will just have to 'recharge' your zeolite every few times as it gets 'saturated'. You just do that by soaking it in 5% salt solution for 24hrs.

I am worried about ammonia at 0.25 with such a high pH. I have a pH of 8.4 and usually the fish are stressed already at 0.25. Reducing it will probably help with all the stress issues.

:)