Should I Buy A New Tank For My Fishiezz?

I currently have a 10 gallon tank and I got bored of the design and it looks so small so I thought about buying a 20-30 gallon tank which I could design on my own. Should I buy a new tank for my 2 goldfish, (I'm planning to buy 2 more goldfish which makes it 4 goldfishes) or should I just keep them inside the 10 gallon tank for 5 years?

I'm just a beginner but I wanna take care of my fish for 5 years! (And breed them!)

If I buy a new tank, I should buy more gravel,plastic/real plants,air stone, and a bunch of other stuff.

But the problem is, the tanks costs a lot of money because it has decorations in it already, and I want tanks without decorations yet!

If I convert PHP to USD

Tank with decorations costs = 1,028 USD more or less

Tank with no decoration costs = (I still haven't found a 20-30 gallon tank without decorations being sold yet)

MY real problem is..my dad doesn't want to buy a new tank because he thinks beginners shouldn't waste a lot of money just for a tank for fishes to live in. AND I GOT NO MONEY. I NEED TO CONVINCE MY DAD OR MOM TO BUY ME THAT GOLDFISH TANK!!! :doh11:

I don't want my fish to live in a small boring tank :no:

I want my fish to live in a nice, awesome, breathtaking tank!

The tank that I liked was:

?30 gallons

?with an awesome top cover made out of wood that has lights and a bunch of sockets or somethin (I just like calling it awesome cause it's the best looking tank in the shop)

?has a thick (half an inch) glass/plastic wall (is it a good thing or a bad thing that it has thick walls?)

it just looks so awesome that I wanted to hug it :heart

MY FINAL QUESTION: Should I buy the tank even though I'm just a beginner or wait till I become an adult so I could buy my own fish tank without any problems?????

The simple answer is that goldfish need a lot of room...they produce a ton of waste. Fancy goldish need ten gallons EACH and single tails need twenty gallons EACH. That means you need a twenty gallon tank just for the two fish you have now if they are fancies. So, yes...you need a new bigger tank. To keep fish in a tank that is too small is asking for trouble, so waiting until you have a trouble free tank is silly. When you keep fish in too small of a tank you will have trouble. Really what seperates the more experienced fishkeepers apart is that they give their fish the proper space to grow and flourish.

How often are you changing the water? With a tank this small for two fish you probably need to do at the bare minimum two 75% water changes a week.

They look like single tails to me. Which means they need at least 40 gallons for the two of them, and 80 gallons if you still intend to get two more. I don't know how it is where you are, but I would suggest looking for a used tank. You can probably find much better deals.

Edited by flutterbudget

Yes, as you said your fish need a bigger tank. If you want them to really grow to their full potential and be healthy and happy, try to get a 40 gallon tank. Buy a used one as it will be much cheaper :) You will just have to give it a thorough cleaning before you use it, but 10 gallons is much too small for your two single tails.

I know this might sound like a lot to you right now, but whenever you keep them in a tank this big with 20 gallons for each fish you will see your fish grow like crazy quickly! And with good care they can live more than 20 years!

Here, even wikipedia tells you a lot about these fish :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_goldfish

• Admin

my personal thought. If you want to keep the happy and healthy in the long run, buy a tank that is bigger than you think.... see if you want 2 fish (20 gal tank min) then i would go with a 40 gal tank. See cause all of us at some point will want more fish, so if you buy a tank that is bigger than you think you need, then you will be set cause you already got one. :)

I think you had too much coffee today! ( it's a joke, fer real)

But seriously I think need a source of money like yard work pet sitting...then you can make SOME decisions on your own.

Great advice given here by the experts, pinkskitty...do what's best for your goldfish and move them to a larger tank as soon as possible. Your goldfish will thrive and grow large in your care! Best of luck! :)

I think I posted this in some other thread. If you can not buy or get a bigger tank at this time you can housed them in a platic tote box. I've used them several times and they work great. If you want you can even get a much bigger one and use it like and indoor pond resevoir...

They look like single tails to me. Which means they need at least 40 gallons for the two of them, and 80 gallons if you still intend to get two more. I don't know how it is where you are, but I would suggest looking for a used tank. You can probably find much better deals.

But one of them is 2 tailed :) does that mean I only need 30 gallons?

I think I posted this in some other thread. If you can not buy or get a bigger tank at this time you can housed them in a platic tote box. I've used them several times and they work great. If you want you can even get a much bigger one and use it like and indoor pond resevoir...

I can place them in those kind of boxes??? COOL

Does that mean I could use the box inside my room? Wouldn't it expand if I put water??

100.jpg

Edited by pinkskitty93