My Water Levels While Cycling

bodoba

This is basically just a reference for me more than anyone else cause I am finding tank reading to be weird with a fishless cycle. All testing is done with API Drop tests the Ammonia kit and the NitrAte kit.

Ammonia = 4 ppm

NitrAte = 5 ppm

Now I have been testing for 3 wks now and I haven't done a water change because eventually I'll see a drop in the ammonia when the nitrItes start up. I don't have to worry about fish or anything for the ammonia lvl but I do want that to drop before I get plants just incase the plants eating it up will give a false cycle level.

I'm thinking I'll do a water change tonight once the children are in bed because if the ammonia lvl gets beyond my ability to read with my kit then I'll never know when the nitrItes will crop up. By the way, next week I'll be getting a air pump and tubing and a nitrIte and pH test kit.

It's creeping up on it's own, which is weird cause the tap water is zero but I'll check it again. I have a theory though, the tank is directly under a heater vent, and even though the vent is closed it's conceivable that dust and other particulates are still getting in there. The water is crystal clear though so you would think that there would be some dust the filter isn't getting.

The other theory is that my cat is peeing in it. But I know my peeing cat and he isn't the most accurate when he is marking territory. So it would spill and I would smell it for cat pee smells nasty. Also he hasn't 'marked' anything since the foam blocks we threw away 9 months ago. But I have seen him on top nudging the light aside to drink from it.

I'm just glad I won't have to worry about fish with this water source, we'll see if it's better or worse when I move to iowa. The plants I'll get won't really care about ammonia lvls.

That's so strange, I've never heard of that happening before! Are you sure there isn't something rotting in there? Maybe in the filters?

OR! Maybe your tap water is treated with chloramines? Chloramines break down into ammonia and chlorine, so that could explain why the ammonia is creeping up even without you adding any.

It could be but my water treater treats chorine and chloramine... Since the filter is just made and brand new I doubt anything is rotting there. I can't remember if the water has chloramine with it, I remember the uranium is at 'safe levels' but nothing about the chloramine.

So even if it's treated for chloramine with your conditioner the chloramine will still break down into ammonia byproducts? hmmm...

Yes the water conditioner that treats chloramine breaks the chloramine down into chlorine and ammonia. Then, it gets rid of the chlorine and then "binds" the ammonia. So the ammonia will still be present, but it will be in the bound, harmless form. It will continue to be present until the bbs use it up. That must be what's going on! :D

Okay so some recent thoughts on this, was reading some older posts and I realized that my tank is staying at the 68-72F range, I should probably get a heater to add to the tank seeing as it will take longer for the bbs to grow in a colder environment, so that is now priority one. Once the blizzard is over....then get a bubbler and a pH tester and nitrIte. then PLANTS

Will do tank readings in the morning.

Tap water

Ammonia: spilled the sample >.<

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Did a 25% change last night, lets see what the params are today,

Tapwater ammonia : 0.5

Tank:

Nitrate:less than 5ppm :sad

ammonia: 1ppm

How is that possible? How do I go from 6 months of zero ammonia in tapwater to 0.5 ammonia this test.

How does a 25% water change cause a difference of 4ppm prechange to 1ppm post???

This cycle isn't making sense!

If there hadn't been a bizzard I'd be running into town to get a heater so that I can get my tank up to 75F and at least help the BBs grow.

I think ammonia levels in tap water can fluctuate. But the ammonia levels in the tank are puzzling me. Very strange. I might try getting a different test kit. I suppose it's possible you have a dud or an old kit. :hmm

• 2 weeks later...

haven't tested in a while so I tested today.

Ammonia 3ppm

Nitrate between 0 and 5 ppm.

So ammonia is taking longer to rise and I may now have the first signs of nitrate....really wish I could get a nitrIte test kit to see how that's going.