Can You Cycle With A Betta?

us4298

Hey, I bought a Betta the other day at my LFS which was in a display 5 gallon tank on the counter, it was in a community tank with neon tetras, a female Betta, and a few fancy guppies. Right there and then I knew I had to buy it because the chances of finding a friendly Betta are slim. When I got it home I introduced it to my cyclign tank for a hour and ti got along fine with my Guppy. Then I got a cup and isolated it because I didnt want it t be in the cycling tank. But now the cups water temeperature is 62 degrees while my 5 gallon cycling tank with my guppy is 78. Should I let my Betta back into the tank?

The betta will be better in the cycling tank as long as you are willing to test the water daily for ammonia; nitrites and nitrates. You will need to do daily water changes as long as the tank is cycling.

The only other issue that bothers me is that bettas and guppies usually don't go well together. :undecided: So you will need to keep a very close eye on them, once they both get comfortable in the tank they may become aggressive.