fruitloop1

Hi guys

getting my new fish on sunday

I aim to get 3 commons in a 40 gallon tank

cant wait

allready sorted the names, Frio, Mickey and Norris

Pics sometime next week I hope

:druel

That tank is not big enough at all. 3 commons need at LEAST a 60gal tank.

But three fancy goldfish would be great in there! :)

What kind of filter do you have? Have you cycled your tank?

That tank is not big enough at all. 3 commons need at LEAST a 60gal tank.

But three fancy goldfish would be great in there! :)

What kind of filter do you have? Have you cycled your tank?

can I have 2 commons in there then???

Not to sure what type it is but it is the largest one in the link below

Filter

I think you should have at least a 55 gallon tank for two commons. They get really big. And the filters should be very powerful too and hold lots of media. At least three cups of media per fish if they're commons or comets.

I'm not really sure. I personally would not keep any amount of comets or commons in anything less than a 55 gallon tank. I just don't think anything less than a 55 gallon tank would allow enough swimming space for how big they get. It's not about how small of a tank you can get away with, it's about giving the fish the best quality of life possible. That's my opinion, maybe someone else will chime in as well.

I agree with Sakura; I have my 3 single tails in my 72 gal now and they've never been happier :D They need tank length to swim as they grow. Bear in mind that most tanks hold a little less than advertised. My 40 gal only actually holds 36 gal, so I only keep 2 fancies in it. I'm a firm believer in staying under stocked; I would normally only keep 2 single tails in the 72, but Atticus lived in a bowl for 4 yrs before I got him and is stunted at 4 inches.

Edited by BuggyBear

Three fancies would be perfect for a 40 gallon tank! You might need another filter in addition to that one though. I can't really tell how big that one is or how much media it can hold. You want to make sure there is lots of room for filter media and that the filters turn over ten times the tank gallonage per hour combined (so 400 gallons per hour).

Three fancies would be perfect for a 40 gallon tank! You might need another filter in addition to that one though. I can't really tell how big that one is or how much media it can hold. You want to make sure there is lots of room for filter media and that the filters turn over ten times the tank gallonage per hour combined (so 400 gallons per hour).

In size it is 30 cm height and 8 width if that means anything

My opinions on filter differ a bit from others so I'll just leave that aside for the moment. Is this the same tank as in This one? The dimensions look more like a 40 litre tank not a 40 gallon. That changes things a bit. Feel like doing a quick LxWxH measurement?

My opinions on filter differ a bit from others so I'll just leave that aside for the moment. Is this the same tank as in This one? The dimensions look more like a 40 litre tank not a 40 gallon. That changes things a bit. Feel like doing a quick LxWxH measurement?

no, new one