Can My Kitten Get Parasites From My Goldfish?

Guest amynicole

Guest amynicole

Strange question, but I'm a worrier! So I have a kitten and am about to get another one. My kitten loves to hang out by my tank. And when I do water changes, some of course drips on floor before I can clean it up. My kitten also tends to climb up over the shelf by the tank and I have caught her licking to filter top (its an emperor so its covered but I think as my cat gets bigger she will be able to knock the top off. She is going to be a huge cat (she is a main coon) and I am getting another main coon after I move.

If she manages to knock top off filter and drink some water, can she get paristies from the tank?

Am I taking risks by having cats with a fish tank? She is my first ever cat and I adore her and thats why I want another to keep her company! But I also enjoy my goldfish.

I don't know about parasites, but either way I would try to teach the cats to stay away from the top of the tank and the filter, so you won't end up with a cat knocking off the lid of the tank or falling in it, or accidentally fall into the tank taking the light fixture with her, electrocuting herself and the fish. That would be horrible.

One of my horror visions, so I started spraying my cat with a well aimed stream of water from a spray bottle every time she tries to get to the top of the tank. Now she watches the fish from below or the little lamp stand next to the tank.

I've been watching our new kitten, Tommy, for the same behavior, but so far so good. I don't know if the cat could catch anything, but I'd worry about what bacteria they could transmit to the fish; cats mouths are dirty, not like dogs.

You know...im pretty sure if your goldfish had the right type of parasite it would be completely possible. But I think that would only be wild caught goldies :P

People get parasites from water and undercooked food all the time. But again, wild caught.