Mjbubbles Intro

mjbubbles

Hello everyone. I am a newbie goldfish owner. Three weeks ago I got Fluffy, a red/white ryukin. He's about 2 inches long including tail. I really enjoy his company. Of course, I bought a too small tank(3 gallons) before I knew what I was doing. Now that I know a bit more, I'm planning to upgrade his tank in a few months. In the meantime, I'll be checking here for resources on testing the water and keeping it healthy for him. I also like the barebottom look, which I'd never heard of before, and plan to do that in my new tank.

I had no idea how much there was to know about keeping goldfish! And this forum has been very helpful! I love feeding him fresh veggies - FLuffy likes peas and spinach, but not carrots. I have started soaking his food since he was spending a lot of time gulping air at the surface. It seems to be working.

Anyway, I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Looking forward to hanging out with you soon!

mj (and Fluffy)

I wanted to tell you how Fluffy got his name. I have wanted to get another dog, and tried fostering two different ones in the last year. Finally, reluctantly, I realized that my life just can't support a dog right now...but I wanted a companion. I'm allergic to cats, birds are too messy, and so that led me to fish. So it's Fluffy the dog substitute. I'm really fond of him already.

Welcome! In order to compensate for the small tank, I would be doing 50% water changes twice a day until you can upgrade :)

I had a fish named fluffy. He was named after a goldfish in That 70s Show. Where Kitty had named him Fluffy :P

Yikes! That's a LOT of water changes! I was planning to do them once a week.

There is a filter that seems to pick up a lot of stuff, and the water looks pretty clear.

Maybe I'd better speed up the tank upgrade schedule!

Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to you and your fish :D If you can't manage a new tank quite yet, you can always pick up a 15 gal rubbermaid/plastic tote to improve water conditions and give him more space right away; buys time to save up for the tank you really want :) Love Fluffy's name, by the way, can't wait to see pics :)

Hello and welcome to Koko's!!

What a nice story about the fish's name, I can't wait to see photos! I love ryukins :)

And as suggested, you should get a rubbermaid tub from Wally World, they really are cheap. I paid for my 10 gallon rubbermaid tub not even 10 bucks. Even 10 gallons should be fine for a few months, definitely better than 3 gallons.

I know that the actual tanks are costly and it takes a bit until you can get one, but try the tub and get a filter for it. You said your fish is only 2 inches long, right? So I really think that a 10 gallon tub might do it for a few months. It sure won't hurt to get 15 gallons though.

Get a small filter for it (I had a Tetra Whisper in tank filter for 10 gallons in my tub, and it works wonderfully!!) which you can later use in your tank as additional filter, an air stone, and you're set until you got your tank :)

Craigslist often has very good deals on used tanks!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I will look for a used tank on Craigslist.

I did a big water change this morning, and took out most of the gravel to give him more room to swim around.

:hi and :welcome

You sound very similar to me, I really want a dog sooooooo much but I am working full time and now is not the right time for a dog in my life! :(

So I have four dog substitutes with fins and I have to admit they do remind me of excitable puppies from time to time! I never thought I would ever become attatched to fish, I originally got goldfish because I thought they would make a nice feature in my living room. Now 6 years later they are truly my babies! :wub:

Hope to see you around the forum :nana

Hi UK. I am very surprised how much I enjoy Fluffy and how entertaining he is. He is like an excitable puppy, as you say. Especially when he's chasing down the food.