What Would You Do...

bodoba

I just finished a MFK topic of a plywood 1500 gal tank. 1500!!! Which made me think, if I had a 1500 gallon tank (yes in magical marshmallow land where I beat unicorns in checkers) of course money, time, life was no issue to work around. Would I stock it with goldfish? Would I switch to something more exotic like eels or rays?

I want to say I'd keep to goldfish, I'd have more than enough room for any kind I wanted as long as they were compatible. I'd probably heavily plant it too....

But what would you do? With a tank that big, would you stay goldies?

I think I'd stick with goldfish or koi. I'm trying to imagine the dimensions of such a tank. That would be about 27 times my tank. I suppose it is sorta tank shaped, not pond shaped. So let's say the front would would be made of 9 of my tanks (3 x 3) and then three rows of it.

Ok, now I can kind of imagine how big it would be. Hmm... maybe I'd go with goldfish. 1500 gallons, if I remember right from one of the koi topics you need 300 gallons per fish, but a minimum size of 1000 gallons to start with. That would be room for 5 kois then.

Kois look better from above so I really think I'd rather go for goldfish. But I wouldn't stock it with the 20 gallon per fish rule! LOL that would be 75 fish. I'd SO lose track of them. Every morning I get up or every day I come home from work I count my fish right now. If I would have to do that with 75... :whatjust:

I think I'd have about 25 goldfish at the most. 60 gallons available for each fish, that would be nice.

The only other thing I'd do would be some sort of tropical tank where I keep a nice big common pleco, maybe a few clown loaches (if you can keep them together) and a couple schools of some hardy schooling fish. Maybe a bunch of nice looking angel fish. Lots of plants and driftwood. That would be really cool too!

I would probably do a heavy planted tropical tank only because of less water changes.

Could you imagine doing 20% water changes each week :o

Imagine that water bill...

But honestly, a tank that size, planted well, relatively sparsely stocked might actually take care of itself. Let's say you even have 75 tropical fish in there, that is still 20 gallon for each fish. If you have small fish, that is basically no waste, and with all the plants they would take care of most of it.

I guess.

So I doubt you'd have to do 20% water changes each week, maybe just refill what evaporated.

I wonder if you could probably have an almost perfect, independent little ecosystem in there, where all you have to do is provide food for them?

I got it! I got it! Considering I must be rich being able to afford such a tank, I would have my rescue station for goldfish. Taking in goldfish that live in bowls etc. Having 20 quarantine and hospital tanks in another room for the newbies and sickies.

AWESOME.

I would probably do a heavy planted tropical tank only because of less water changes.

But honestly, a tank that size, planted well, relatively sparsely stocked might actually take care of itself. Let's say you even have 75 tropical fish in there, that is still 20 gallon for each fish. If you have small fish, that is basically no waste, and with all the plants they would take care of most of it.

I guess.

So I doubt you'd have to do 20% water changes each week, maybe just refill what evaporated.

I wonder if you could probably have an almost perfect, independent little ecosystem in there, where all you have to do is provide food for them?

There is a way, and I have seen it done so there is no need for water changes, for tropicals that is. I would never try the no water change thing with goldies.

I guess.

There is a way, and I have seen it done so there is no need for water changes, for tropicals that is. I would never try the no water change thing with goldies.

Well, maybe if you have only a couple goldis and lots of plants and 17 filters in there :lol

just kidding :D

I'd probably go saltwater/reef if I had a tank that large. Because if I had a tank that large, I'd be super-rich, and I'd be having someone ELSE do the maintenance and mix the saltwater and check all the complicated salt stuff.

I just think even the largest goldies would look lost in 1,500 gallons. It would need something BIG.

RANCHUS!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF EM!!

Can you imagine a tank full of 50 or so of their cute little wiggly butts?? haha

The counting thing would be a problem though, yes.

I don't know much about other fish than goldfish (and so much research would be in order), but if there was enough space/ they aren't too agressive. I think it would be cool with an oscar and arrowana or two or three :)

And then some quick little(ish) fish that can fill in the small spaces and not get eated!

That would be fun! I think Oscars and Arrowanas are so cool!

Hmm... for a tank that large, assuming I had won the lottery as well, I would probably go for an in-wall reef tank and splurge for an automated water change/top up system, RO units, massive sump and refugium, the whole deal behind it in it's own fish roomheartpump.gif.

For goldies, I would want several tanks and ponds devoted to certain types. A big ryukin aquarium, the demekin dedicated aquarium, the celestial tub, ect. biggrin.gif Again, I'm assuming I've won the lottery or invented something fantastic and made massive amounts of money.

• Admin

Well honestly that just way to big for me... but in dream land

I would either make it a reef tank or just wakins and jakins in there :)

Or

a SHARK Tank WHOOOT. I love sharks :heart