Do I Need To Qt A Bristlenose?

Migaloo

even though you got your answer.. lets just say i was Qting my new fish over a week days spread so i dont ruin my cycle .. then i add my rubber nose pleco. didnt QT. got ich on like 5 fish D: only thing that i would say would be different when treating plecos would be medicating them as they are scaleless fish so meds can be strong on them. so you just gotta get the right one.. wich i did :D all fixed

Thanks guys!

After making a thread about not being able to find a large BN in cold water, I walked into a newly discovered LFS the other day (just to get some aquarium salt) and they had TWO there (I'll blame Stakos as before I went there she told me to get a another fish LOL)! So I bought one of them and have set him up in a temporary container with a sponge filter for now. My problem is that its uncycled, but I really had no other choice (except to not QT him)...

I am already using my (cycled) 2ft tank to qt my new ranchu, who has been there 11 days now... I might just need to move her to the big tank earlier than planned. I didnt really want to, but she does seem super healthy so I dont see it being a real problem...

Ahhh.... I hate QTing! :rolleyes:

Don't treat plecos with salt. There are a few exceptions but they don't need really salt unless they contract ich. Quarantine for 3-4 weeks. Simply observe, nothing much you can do if the pleco in question is absolutely healthy.

Yep all fish should be QT'd no matter what kind.

Exactly!!!!

Yeah... I knew it was a stupid question and I knew what the answer would be before I asked... just wishful thinking on my part I guess LOL

I have never bought a new bristlenose - I had my original pair before I even had any goldfish - the rest I bred, so I have never actually added a new one before, so wasnt really sure on the qt procedure with them :)

Don't treat plecos with salt. There are a few exceptions but they don't need really salt unless they contract ich. Quarantine for 3-4 weeks. Simply observe, nothing much you can do if the pleco in question is absolutely healthy.

Thank Lupin - yes, I know about the salt thing (I wasnt buying the salt for the plecos LOL). Ok... I havent added anything to the new pleco's water so will just keep an eye on him as you say! He seems healthy enough but he's quite shy - much shyer than my other BNs... every time I get close to have a look at him he hides from me - just needs time to settle in I suppose.

Tomorrow I think I'll put my ranchu in the big tank so the new BN can have the 2ft cycled tank.... I have 2 tanks cycling atm and the water changes are killing me! If I can move the BN - at least it will cut one tank out! :wacko: