The Guy In My Lfs Makes Me Feel Stupid!

So as I am nearly out of Prime, I went to my lfs straight after work, I had to get through all the rush hour traffic to make it in time before they closed for the night. :gcar:

I got there just in time to find the guy sitting on the counter swinging his legs back and forth talking to another guy. I went over to the water conditioner section but I couldn't see any Prime in sight, so I had to interupt the guys converstation and I asked him if they had any in stock, he said no they had not had any in ages :rolleyes: ! He tried to convince me to buy some other crappy stuff then started to ask me about my set up and how much water I change each week. I told him that I do a 60% water change each week, he laughed at me saying that I take too much water out of the tank each week "most people take out 10-15% each week!"

I really wish I had a decent lfs near to where I live! Now I need to find another lfs that stocks Prime!

:)

My Lfs knows everything in the world about reef tanks and cichlids but know nothing about goldfish. Regardless of that though I get excellent care advice from them.

Though...they don't sell prime. I do half my fish shopping online and half in the LFS. While I want to support them I do in the ways I can, luckily they carry API products so I get my water test kits from there, I still have to find other products online.

If you want I can look into the online UK market to find out who and what sells prime.

Well done, Becs! You do what you know is right and unfortunately he has no clue what he's talking about. We're all proud of you!

If you ever go back there give him this picture and he'll get the drift LOL...

bat-2.jpg

That is so annoying, they always try to tell me I'm doing stuff wrong too. It bothers me that when I ask for something they immediately ask about my set-up and try to tell me why I don't need it. It's like, I didn't ask for your crappy advice, I just want to buy this product! Basically what I'm trying to say is... I know how you feel :undecided:

I only ever get asked how big my tank is and how many fish are in it, I tend to buy the bigger fish at the stores and I think the staff get attached to them as they're usually there longer, and don't want them ending up in a tiny tank, they always sound a bit worried when they ask...they're usually relieved when I assure them it's a big tank with very few fish in it :)

An employee at a local pet store actually scolded me about keeping two goldfish, two swordtails, and two snails in a 5 gallon tank. I specifically remember her saying that a single goldfish needs 20 gallons and each additional needs 10. I was honestly shocked to hear this, and she probably gave up trying to help me, thinking I was in disbelief. I'm really glad she made it a point to tell me, but I do think she shouldn't have been so condescending. Especially when the fish weren't even mine, I was just there trying to buy whatever I could to save them! So glad I found Koko's :)

• Supporter

An employee at a local pet store actually scolded me about keeping two goldfish, two swordtails, and two snails in a 5 gallon tank. I specifically remember her saying that a single goldfish needs 20 gallons and each additional needs 10. I was honestly shocked to hear this, and she probably gave up trying to help me, thinking I was in disbelief. I'm really glad she made it a point to tell me, but I do think she shouldn't have been so condescending. Especially when the fish weren't even mine, I was just there trying to buy whatever I could to save them! So glad I found Koko's :)

whoot!.. i can't believe what i'm reading.. i had to read it twice!! LOL..

told him that I do a 60% water change each week, he laughed at me saying that I take too much water out of the tank each week "most people take out 10-15% each week!"

Did you mention that with most people goldies live about 1 year, maybe 2, instead of the 10-20 they are capable of?

Every time I went into the closest lfs to my house to get something that was recommended on here they would say to me "you don't need that, they are just goldfish"

I now drive 25 minutes across town to go to the pet$mart (yes you read that right) because they have a couple of people that are very knowledgeable and fun to talk to.

Enesta, if you ever go to the pet$mart on East Paris and 28th there is a woman there named Cirille (or something like that) that is very knowledgeable and she is there alot. Also there is a great guy that I have run into a couple times at the Grandville one that is awesome. I can tell he likes when someone comes in who knows a little about goldies and isn't going to put them in a bowl. He told me why the goldies haven't looked so hot in there for awhile. The truck they were shipped in on was in an accident and they sat there for too long. Poor goldies :(

Sorry to hog your thread Becs, I too know how you feel.

A new lfs / gardening supermarket in our neighbourhood sells tanks + fish, but you can only get the fish after your tank has been running at home for two weeks. That way, there's at least some chance that the cycling has started and the fish have a chance at surviving. It's not ideal, but I think it's a nice idea to improve thing beyond how they were before.

Oh my goodness! So today I went to the other lfs that usually stocks Prime, we drove about 45 minutes to get there and when we got there it was all locked up and all the signs were taken down and not a fish in sight (the pond fish in the tubs outside)!

I found the guy who owns the place (it's a garden centre, tea room and gift shop etc.) He told me that the lady who owned the aquatic centre had decided to retire and so the shop had to shut! Just two weeks ago!!! I am wondering what happened to all the fish, she had panda oranda's and lots of very rare fish! I obviously wish the lady all the best but I am sad the shop had to close!

So the hunt for Prime continues!

Alright lets try this the second time around! So first of all, too bad you couldn't get the contact info of that lady. She probably has tons of product left over that she'd sell ya for cheap. Second of all, e-bay is the only place, as the others suggested that you can order online from, though there are a few shops that offer free shipping over L50 and their biggest container for prime is L60

*crossing fingers for successful posting*

Alright lets try this the second time around! So first of all, too bad you couldn't get the contact info of that lady. She probably has tons of product left over that she'd sell ya for cheap. Second of all, e-bay is the only place, as the others suggested that you can order online from, though there are a few shops that offer free shipping over L50 and their biggest container for prime is L60

*crossing fingers for successful posting*

Thank you! I will look in to it! :heart:D