As Anyone Here Got Eye Surgery?

Quasi

Lately I've gotten some eye problems. This resulted in me wearing my glasses instead of contacts.

I've never really liked glasses as soon as I needed stronger prescriptions. I rely on my perifere vission and with glasses you don't have that. Glasses get foggged, dirty, rainspattered.

I've always said if I have to go back to wearing glasses full time, I get my eyes done.

As both my eyes are dioptrie -6 , glasses ain't flattering. I get small mole eyes and without glasses I see as much as the afore mentioned animal ;)

So I'm wondering how many of you have gotten their eyes lasered?

All commens are welcome, weather they are positive or negative

holy moly 6 is a lot! my boyfriend has dioptrie of 2.5 - and he is already half blind in the mornings when he makes coffee without his glasses. :teehee

my father got his eyes lazered. He had around 3 and 4. He now sees perfect from far but needs reading glasses. One thing got fixed and age brought on the new problem :)

If you get a good doctor is shouldn't be a problem. He got his done in like 30 mins (even has a film of it!) - in the US. Then he wore some funky sunglasses for a few days and he was good :)

Oh my uncle also got it done :) He sees like a hawk now!

I always like how people look with glasses tho. Like my uncle used to wear those little round glasses - he looked real good. And my father had rectangular ones. My boyfriend wears the oversized ones that are fashionable now :) I think it is cool to be able to play around with them, you can change your look real fast.

My husband had it done. I don't know the numbers. He now has one eye for reading and one for distance but there is still a distance where he cannot focus and that is his computer screen so he buys cheap reading glasses and pokes out one lens. He healed and over corrected in one eye (so they said) and had to get it redone. His eyes are more dry now, he has to use drops often, and his night vision is not as good. :testkit:

So from my point of view I am thinking "I am not going through that" but oddly enough he is happy.

The other thing is there is some time, MAYBE three months... that you are healing so if you can't see right for whatever reason you have to wait a while before they go back and fix it. So he couldn't see at a certain distance for a while.

Im a -6 too. I had to go back to glasses. I clean them a lot and over time I got use to them. I also bought the thin ones cost more but look much better and are lighter. So don't slide down the nose. Also there is some stuff you can buy to put on them to help with the fogging. But I don't have that problem to often however I do use a non glare cleaner for mine.

My Dad had the surgery done a few years back. Had to start wearing glasses again after 3 years. So not really worth it unless you know your eyes are going to stay the same for a long long time.

Im a -6 too. I had to go back to glasses. I clean them a lot and over time I got use to them. I also bought the thin ones cost more but look much better and are lighter. So don't slide down the nose. Also there is some stuff you can buy to put on them to help with the fogging. But I don't have that problem to often however I do use a non glare cleaner for mine.

My Dad had the surgery done a few years back. Had to start wearing glasses again after 3 years. So not really worth it unless you know your eyes are going to stay the same for a long long time.

I have those ultralight and very thin glasses and a lightweight titanium frame, feels good but is quite expensive. But the colour changes (blue-red fade effect) and the line distortion (stright lines are a bit bended) always gets on my system. I have to look right through the middle of the glasses or my vision ain't 100%. The astigmatism I inherited from my Mom :doh11:

For a desk job I don't mind my glasses, but I work in a library and when a copier gets jammed it is almost impossible to do it with glasses, because I look over them while I try to reach the problem, which means that I can barely see what I'm doing. :cry

I know they (in Belgium anyway) only do it when you're eyes have been stable for quite some time. And when you get it done at 50, chances are big that you will need glasses again, but mostly reading glasses or a small correction.

It would be nice when I wake up that I do not have to keep my alarm clock close to my face to read the time. And it has huge numbers

I looked into getting this, but because my prescription is relatively slight (1.5 and 1.25 in the short-sighted direction) the optician figured it wasn't worth it as the chances were it wouldn't make a huuuge difference and I'd still need reading glasses or something when older anyway, and it might not work at all on so small a change. I can see without my glasses, but just don't ask me to read anything further than arm's reach from my face! I had contacts for a while but when I started work and was by a computer all day my eyes started really drying out and I couldn't wear them longer than 30-40 minutes, so back to glasses for me! I don't mind it, though they can get in the way when I want cuddles :) If you've got a strong prescription I think it's worth looking seriously into, but it usually doesn't stay longer than 5 years I think, or maybe 10 (I might be pulling numbers from nowhere here!)

It would be nice when I wake up that I do not have to keep my alarm clock close to my face to read the time. And it has huge numbers

Whatever time it goes off, it's always to early :-s

Oh my uncle also got it done :) He sees like a hawk now!

I always like how people look with glasses tho. Like my uncle used to wear those little round glasses - he looked real good. And my father had rectangular ones. My boyfriend wears the oversized ones that are fashionable now :) I think it is cool to be able to play around with them, you can change your look real fast.

Changing glasses every year is expensive. That would be more than ? 300 a year for just the 'glass' (actually it is some sort of plastic that is as thin as possible, and the thinner the more expensive) Add a nice looking pair of glasses and it totals 500-600 a year.

That was one of the reasons for contacts, cheaper and I had perfect vision without any distortion.

Contacts don't fog nor get rain spatters A big plus when you live in Belgium, with all those rainy and foggy days.

I'm still hoping I'll be able to wear my contacts again in a few weeks.

At the moment I'm just exploring all the options.

I looked in to the surgery, but chickened out. I went as far as talking to the surgeons and having them take various scans of my eyes to see what would need doing. The main things that decided me against it were the chance of getting halos and ending up worse off than I am now. I don't see too well in the dark already, and when driving I already get some blurring of all the headlights and city lights. I also have dry eyes already, so I worried that it would be worse after the surgery.

I have a -6 in one eye, and -4.5 in the other, so I also have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for lenses. Fortunately my prescription has been stable for the last few years, so I don't need new glasses every year. I wore contacts for over 20 years but went back to glasses about 4 years ago after deciding against the surgery. At first, the glasses were annoying because they don't correct all around like contacts, but I'm really used to it now, and don't notice anymore. I have a regular pair of glasses, a pair of sunglasses, and even some fairly cheap swim goggles I found that correct well enough to get to and from, plus across the pool. This year I also got some disposable contacts which I can put in when I want, but don't need to wear every day. I still find that my eyes get very dry when wearing the contacts, but never when I wear my glasses.

• 1 year later...

My optometrist confirmed today that I am not a good candidate to get it done ( so I ordered 2 new pairs of glasses to cheer myself up :D ) My eyes are +3.75 and they won't do the surgery higher than +4.5, so results probably wouldn't be what I expect. Also, at my age (oh, yes he said that!!!), that I would need reading glasses within a few years, if not immediately, especially because of how much I draw and read. Also, I have dry eyes and not-so-great night vision now and those are 2 things potentially worsening from the start. Guess I'm a 4-eyes for life :D

-6.5 here. I'm still clinging to contacts and started having to switch brands because not all brands carry that strength. But I really, really want to get the surgery. Two of my friends did it and they were completely amazed.

In the end, it all comes down to your expectations. I think just about every patient Ive referred out to have LASIK has been very satisfied. You really need to let people know what to expect not only weeks and months following the surgery, but years and years down the road. And you need a surgeon who is picky as far as who is and is not a candidate. Some places will do LASIK on just about anyone. The surgeons we refer to are extremely careful.

Personally I still wear glasses. Some people have so much fluctuation in their vision for weeks to months after surgery. That would drive me nuts . . . .

my brother in law is an optometrist and he has been trying to convince me to do it since i have known him and he has been my doctor. He says its one of the best things you can do for you pocket book (overtime) and you lifestyle. The bonus is he does not do it so by telling his clients that he actually loses business!

The bad thing is I really want to get it. I just don't have the funds to do it and the fish room too. So i guess i will just let my eyes go until i can't see my fish anymore then I'll get it done. I'm like a -3 so im bad just not that bad yet :no: I always joke with my wife because her dad says she is the daughter that got the brains (my wife is a chemist). I always tell her I'm not sure that is the case her sister married a doctor she married a fish breeder :oops:

Edited by Patti