How Would You Do This?

ashlee18

Ok. Many of you probably know about my dropsy problems. I just checked on Butters and Wendy and things are not looking good for Wendy. So officially frustrated, I've decided to tear down the 55 a week early. Thinking that something is in the filters, I plan to sterilize them when cleaning out the tank. I just sent out some bettas so now I have a 20 with three filters empty. I was going to tear that down but instead figure it won't hurt to just add the 4 goldies to it for a week. I'm going to remove one of the filters and put a new filter that will be going on the 180 in to get it seeded some. I'll also add one of the same filters onto Stan and Ike's tank.

Does this sound like a plan? Or would you all do something different?

If I get everything sterilized, might the dropsy epidemic subside? Or do the fish carry it with them? I am under the impression that it is not contagious but something in the water...bad bacteria. I'll probably be getting a Jebo 36 watt sterilizer to add to the tank (My mom is afraid of using her credit card on GFC :wa ).

Edited by ashlee18

I think sterilizing sounds like a good plan. However, since dropsy is a secondary infection, the fish are likely to pass around whatever bacteria they have that's making them dropsy so I would isolate them. So in a way it technically is contagious. But I also think there's something in the water like you said.

Tell her Ken is the sweetest man on the whole darn planet!

Ok. Well I wasn't planning on adding the dropsy fish back because they never seem to do well. If the current fish in the tank don't show dropsy yet, should I have high hopes that removing them now might put an end to it?

My mom is very afraid of technology...so there will be no convincing her.

She won't do it and I have no funds with my b-day, four friends with their b-days 11/15-11/17, bills and Christmas coming up. I've heard some good things about the Jebo from members here so thats what I will be going with.

It took me years to finally buy her computer from Dell.com. I can't get her to buy anything from Ebay, Amazon, etc. She thinks I am crazy for trusting those sites and even crazier for trusting "people like you" on forums. Even though "people like you" are the BEST!!!

Oh, and btw. I LOVE your siggy. Obviously with my South Park naming theme going on :P

Edited by ashlee18

Gift cards and prepaid credit cards usually don't work online, or that has been my experience with them.

I'm just gonna go with the Jebo for now and maybe upgrade next year if I have any problems with it.

I forgot two questions.

The betta tank is a planted tank, much like their current tank. I do however have a 20 gallon barebottom tank with six 1 inch long fin bristlenose plecos. Stan, my largest oranda, tried to eat them but he is easily 2X as big as the largest fish going into the 20. Would they be ok with the four goldies? The goldfish are all small, 1 being 1 inch and the rest no bigger than 2 inches. There would be no hiding spots for the BN.

And, should I sterilize the plants in the 55? I was going to just keep their roots in a bowl of tank water while the leaves dry. They would be like that until going into the 180. The plants are all the kind that come in the tubes at Pet$mart.

I would sterilize your plants with bleach solution 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Soak for two minutes, then rinse really well. If you let the leaves dry out on your aquatic plants they will most likely die or never be the same again.

ugh all this sounds soo hardcore... D: i hope it all goes well.

as for prepaid credit cards, they usually go well for me :S maybe you should ask if they work for buying what you need before you buy the card then find out you cant. or .. if you have a card, but no cash.. what if your mooma (mom. XD ) transfered you the cash and you use yours?

Well I talked to her about it and she is against giving me money to buy something online. She really hates it. Oh well.

I figured out my solution to the tanks. I don't know why I didn't figure it out earlier. I put the bn plecos into the planted 20 and then the goldies into the barebottom.