Breeding Tubercles On Gills

npila1

Hey guys, I just noticed that my common Sparkle has breeding tubercles on his gills. I always thought he was a male but now it's confirmed! :) He's in a separate tank right now because he was fighting with Lucky, who I also think is a male, and I had to separate them.

So do I need to do anything about it? I'm asking because I remember reading that it's bad for example to have a female with eggs without a male in the tank, but I don't know how this applies to males.

Thanks!

Edited by npila1

No it's not bad. I have one very naughty female with 5 boys now. She just reabsorbs her eggs and so will your female. It's usually less of a problem with singletail goldfish. :) Is the male getting really pushy?

No it's not bad. I have one very naughty female with 5 boys now. She just reabsorbs her eggs and so will your female. It's usually less of a problem with singletail goldfish. :) Is the male getting really pushy?

Hmmm, I thought I read it's bad for the female to reabsorb eggs. But maybe I just remember wrong. Well, he used to chase her around, but now he's in a tank alone.

No they do that naturally. It's bad when they become impacted and they're stuck full of eggs. Usually it's not a problem. Perhaps it's a space issue? How long has he been in the naughty tank?

He's been in there for 2.5 weeks now. He is very active/playful and looks happy though. The tubercles are very small and I barely noticed them, so they may have even been there for a while.

I'm hesitant about putting him back because I first added a divider and put him on one side on his own and then tried to remove it to see if he would be better, and he ended up chasing/harassing Lucky so much that he got his eye injured.

The water temperature fluctuates between 72-75.