Problem

snorlax33

Hello. Im new on this forum but I have been looking around for maybe a week or so. About a month ago I purchased two fancy goldfish from my local petmart, a calico ryukin and a white and orange crown pearlscale. They currently reside in a 55gal tank in my room that had been cycled and all ready to go. They are both about the size of your middle finger maybe 3in long and fat as22. You should also know they don't have names so the ryukin is Mac and the pearlscale is Joe. Just for this post.

About the problem.

I never see any agression between Mac and Joe. They have plenty of room and should be at peace. But... when i feed anything to them Mac chases Joe around the tank. Joe still gets plenty of the sinking and floating pellets but is forced to be swimming the entire time he eats.

I know that digestion is a problem for Joes fellow pearlscales so should I be concerned that Joe doesn't get to rest while he eats? Will this in some way effect his digestion? Should I intervene or just see if the aggression subsides after a while?

P.S. If u have any names suggestions for them lemme know. Im working on getting pictures so you might have something to go on.

:welcome and :Congrats: on the new fish. :)

I wouldn't worry if the fish are not aggressive the rest of the time, as long as they both get enough to eat. If your pearlscale becomes stressed out, you will know because he will start hiding and not acting right. If that happens you might need to get some sort of divider for your tank when it's feeding time. :)

The pearlscale eats but he loses out on any food on the bottom of the tank because as soon as he goes for that the ryukin chases him. I see how much each fish gets and the pearlscale doesn't get as much as the ryukin because of this problem. Do you think it will stop?

If they have been together for a month already I doubt it will stop. :undecided: I just realized you have a 55 gallon tank so I guess a divider would be hard to do but maybe you can try to feed your fish at opposite ends of the tank, I know some people have managed to train some fish to go to one particular spot to be fed. Maybe someone with more experience with this will stop by soon.

HI and welcome. I expect the problem will continue, but agree a tank divider is a good answer (unless you can train your pearlie to hand feed, as Amy suggested). I have a 50 G tank and use two dividers as my tele is nearly blind and would not get a bite otherwise and--at the opposite end of the scale--one of my ranchus is very aggressive and not only gets way more than his share, but also gets way more than is good for him (and I do not want him to get a swim bladder problem). So I separate them out at feeding time. My dividers are simple screens with plastic edges (like you use on report covers to keep the paper in place) and have hooks you can use to secure the divider to the tank. I do not bother, as my dividers only go in at feeding time, and then I take them out--but they make it much more stable if you have a fish that tries to push through to the other fish's side when she sees food over yonder!

These are for my tank size (different sizes are available) and were about $10 (?) each. I got them at one of the bigger chain petstores and they are easy to put in and take out, the only pain is having to take off the tank cover. I think your pearlie would be grateful if you got him his own "dining compartment.":)

Ill be sure to research some hand feeding techniques. I really dont want to use a divider but if I need to do it I need to do it. Any other suggestions either on hand feeding or what I can do?

I had a crowned pearlie until recently and he was always useless at finding food so I used to scoop him into a box and float it at the top of the tank for feeding time and just leave him in there until he'd finished as he just wasn't fast enough to compete with my orandas. Alternatively when I was feeding them gelfood I'd scatter some bits for the orandas but he'd get a bigger square from my fingers, he learned pretty quick and the orandas would dash round the bottom for feeding time while he waited patiently at the top for his share.

I do have a small "critter keeper" its basically a small tub thats maybe 1/4 gallon. But it has no holes in it. Is that ok? I would think something with slots or small holes would be ideal.

Mine didn't have any holes in either, but as he was only in it all of 10 minutes tops it was fine :) Just for breakfast :) I lost my guy last week unfortunately after 4 weeks of dropsy, I'm on the look out for another like him but it's unlikely I'll find anything, he was very very special :heart:cry

A divider is not a bad idea. Pet$mart sells one that is 12 inches wide and about 20 inches tall, that should work in the typical 55 gallon tank. It might be the same one as mentioned by spilie although it should work to put in without removing the hood. I just open one of the two lids, slide it in and then turn it to block off an area.

Hi there

this is a common problem fish owners come across

This should stop soon but incase it does not, try waiting untill both fish are at other sides of the tank and then sprinkle some food on each side, this should solve it

If not, get a small tank 8 gallons, put the one not getting much food in it when feeding, only for 5 mins and eventually and gradually start to get him back into eating in the main tank

good luck

I have done a little research on hand feeding and wouldnt ya know it the ryukin comes right up for the food and the pearl is scared of my fingers. So... I hand feed the ryukin till hes not very interested in food then throw some in for the pearl. This seems to solve the problem and the pearl gets to eat in peace. Maybe eventually I can get both to hand feed.

Thanks for your excellent advice.

Any name ideas? Ive become very interested in these fish and I feel they deserve a name. Ill name it the first thing someone says. Anything. Name my fish!

• Supporter

oh man.. i giggled so much at kramer and neuman!.. whoot!.. love it!! :tomuch:

congratulations on your new fish, and their names..

and good work for finding a system that suits the crown pearlie..

and keep asking questions, we're always happy to help :)

Ohh believe me. Since I came to this site my questions list has easily doubled. There is so much that goes into these fish its amazing. Im just glad I found a good source of information to help me out.

• Admin

Also like to say...

I have noticed over the years that the younger goldfish like to push other younger goldfish when its feeding time. I think this is just the little ones wanting food and seeing another fish with it they go after the other. My two younger ones do this all the time with each other, as long as they both get food they will be fine, and will out grow it.

With all my little ones I have had this always happens, :)

Hand feeding is good. It is also fun for you to bond with your fish. And it makes it easier to feed a sick fish if they aren't afraid of your hands. :)

By the way I love their new names. :D