Comet Breathing @ Surface Of Water, Twitching, Has Blood Streaks In Tail

Guest Ojigho

My comet goldfish (Marcutio) has some problems. He has recently been breathing at the surface of the water in his tank. He has not done this before. Marcutio also is twitching slightly is not as active as he was and he has blood spots on his long tail. His tail also changed color from a transparent white to a brownish hue. These facts scare me and I think that he might be dying. Please Help!

Some things you may also want to know is that I keep Marcutio in a bowl with water and that's it. There are no plants, gravel, filter or any other type of machinery that most people use to keep their fish. Should I be having some of these things? I am a new fish keeper.

Hey there welcome to Kokos! :D

Yes, you need to have a 20 gallon tank MINIMUM for a comet goldfish or any other type of single tailed goldfish (EACH) They do much better in ponds.. Fancy goldfish need a minimum of 10 gallons EACH A bowl is extremely inappropriate for any fish no matter what it is. It leads to terrible water quality. We should have them banned here in the U.S.

What's happening is he's getting ammonia poisoning. Are you able to get a new tank ASAP? Or even a plastic tub will do. He really needs a filter and clean dechlorinated water IMMEDIATELY.

Here is some information on goldfish

1. Basic Care

2. Cycle of the Tank

Are you able to return him to the pet store if you are unable to get a bigger tank? I know all of this information is scary and new but goldfish can definitely be hard work and require lots of care, time, energy, and money. Please do ask more questions. :D We're here to help you and your fish.

Thanks for your help. I don't think nnnnnn will accept refunds of fish... but I added more water to his bowl and he doesn't breath at the surface as much as he did, only it seems like he is more comfortable there. I cant get him a tank yet, but I will be able to get him a tank later. How do I dechlorinate the water? Do I use some sort of chemicals? He's lost most of the blood streaks in his tail, and the color is going somewhat back to normal, but he's still not eating.

Your local petstore sells stuff to declorinate. Prime is very good as it also removes ammonia and detoxifies nitrites and nitrates.

The reason for him breathing at the surface was probably that the bowl water ran out of oxygen. The toxins in the water might have caused his tail to get bloody streaks.

Try to upgrade to an appropriately sized tank as soon as possible :) Craigslist often has fantastic deals on used tanks and you can get a tank for 10 percent the price of what a new one would cost. http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ca If you tell me the area I will keep an extra eye out for you as I like browsing craigslist for good deals :D

Until then, change the water daily. Make sure the temperature and pH matches! Also add an air stone to increase the oxygen supply.

Even if the store you got him from won't take him back (and certainly it is worth asking) another pet store might. You really should look into a large plastic tub and an airstone and inexpenisve filter until you can get a tank. And then you need to change 75% of the water every day. You want to try not to overfill the tub because the air on the surface is what provides air exchange.

This seems like a lot for a little fish, but goldfish are actually fairly time consuming and can get quite large (12 inches). Think of it as a lesson learned to research before investing in a new pet. Hang in there!