Sign in to follow this  
SGcvn69

Injured Fantail

Thanks Helen! Don't need another list for me to check. Can barely keep up w/ the ones I do now! LOL

great job on the hospital :)

Relating to the columnaris - I don't believe this is the case. I think columnaris usually appears as a fluffy growth on the mouth - it is called cotton wool disease for that reason.

I think in your case it is just an infection from bacteria in the water. We had a common goldfish with a similar soar a while back - can't find the thread tho.

I think salt up to 0.3% will help against most infections. She looks happy enough. If she starts getting lethargic or something we can always thing of medicated food. But it is unnecessary for now in my opinion.

What you can do, if you are comfortable in handling the fish (and if the fish doesn't get too stressed from it) - is put Neosporin on the wound. Usually how I do it is, get a VERY CLEAN bowl (I clean it with white vinegar and rinse it good), then I gently scoop the fish in it. Let the fish settle down. Then with the neosporin already prepared on a Q-Tip, I use one hand to lift the fish just enough out of the water to access the injury sight - and the other to swab it on. I think you can do this 2x a day. Just make sure you put the cream just on the upper part of the wound - away from the mouth. I am not sure if it is a good idea to get it in the mouth :) (another thing you can use is BioBandage). Make sure you clean your hands well before tho with vinegar too. :)

I think it would be hard to get the Neosporin onto the wound w/o getting it into the mouth as the hole is a direct access to the mouth! :( So the salt bath is going to have to be it, I think, for now. Checked on him this a.m. and he's feeling like his normal self just swimming around! Wound looks more red now though than before. I think the wound is feeling a bit irritated by the salt is probably why. He's pooping fine now so he must've settled in ok. Haven't fed him today at all. Will up his salt after I get back from my meeting today. Here's a new pic of him taken this a.m.:

IMG_1989.JPG

Here's one of my angels:

DSC00543.JPG

One of the two of my EcoSpheres when it was new...it now has only one shrimp each:

DSC06016.JPG

Water is good, same as last night. More salt added!

that's great.. keep up the good work and you will see some improvement every day.. i am confident the salt will heal him as much as it can possibly heal..

then, if there's a slightest hole, i guess you can get him a lip ring! :rofl

LOL then people will know I have really gone off the deep end!

Gave him two pellets of food and he hasn't eaten them. :\ Haven't added the salt today and am hesitating a bit as I see the salt swirls in the water.

Seeing those clear salt swirls is a good thing :) It's just the dissolved salt.

Yeah, but should I add more than that? I don't want to kill him w/ too much salt either!

what percentage salt are you at?

what percentage salt are you at?

I did the 1 tsp/gal for 10 gals, took 1/2 of the water out and added in 15 tsps and that's where I'm at. I eyeballed the measurements.

well, i think we're starting to look less swollen, but i think the same amount of blood patches are still there.. what do you say? do you see the improvement i see?

Yeah, I did notice his mouth was less droopy. The blood patches were worse once in the salt water, but you're right, they have not gone away. I gave him two new pellets of food today and he ate one. Will do a water change when I get home tonight. There is no more salt swirly water today so I will up it to 0.3% tonight instead. Water was fine last night when I tested it.

p.s. It's hard to get pics of this guy's mouth! LOL I took about 10-20 each time to get ONE decent one! Of course, I'm still not used to how my new camera works...my old camera was a rock star!

Edited by SGcvn69

cool.. the blood patches will eventually go away.. everything is really fresh here. so it will take some time.. it's great that he's feeding.. did it seem like he was having a difficult time with that? or was everything pretty much normal?

are you keeping an eye on the water parameters? this is an essential part of his healing process.. pristine water..

you're doing a great job.. good work..

it's just on 3:30am here, and i'm off to bed :)

night hun.

Only difficulty was seeing the food. You know how they kinda eat....just gobble and hope the food flows into their mouth LOL I guess the piece I gave him was a bit bigger than his normal food (Aqueon) so that may have been why too.

Yes on the water. Will test and change again tonight.

Didn't realize you were in Australia Helen! Where in Oz? Love that place! :D

melbourne victoria.. the pretty state :peeka (hiding from all our fellow aussie members in other states)

:k045:

LOL I got to visit Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney...Cairns was my favorite :) Brisbane wasn't too shabby either! :) It's definitely my favorite country that I have traveled to!

:yeah: Except for the Huntsman spiders. Edited by Haruka

Do I dare ask what kind of spiders they are? Humongous?

go on taylor.. post her the link that you sent me!..

Ok, took out 50% of the water, added 50% back in. Replaced the 20 tsp salt missing and added another 10 tsp to make it 3 tsp per gallon now! Water tested fine. His lip isn't swollen anymore, but it is definitely more red. Looks ok...got him some new medicated food as mine was old. Also got an air stone for my sponge filter.

Saw a HUGE black moor at the pet store tonight...he was only $9.99! His right eye was smaller than the left and it looked like he had tail rot at one point cuz what grew back was white. There was a lady there that wanted to buy him, but didn't want to either and told me to LOL I was like no thanks! Then she went on and on about saving him and whatnot. I was like he'll be fine here! It was mainly a fish store anyway. I think I talked her out of it :)

lol.. the last thing you need right now is more fish.. and i applaud you from not coming home with him :) the redness will go.. many times, a fish gets worse before they get better.. so long as each day goes by you see improvement, even if it's the slightest thing.

now, you're at .3% salt. we can't go any higher than that.. so we will maintain that level, even with the waterchanges.. i am confident that you will begin to see some of the redness reducing in the next day or so :)

I'm not big into moors so that's why :) Plus, I know they need some light to keep their color and what's the point to buy a black fish if it's going to lose color?

In another tank was this gorgeous colored one....forget what it was, but they wanted $34.99 for it! Same size! :o

I may need to get more salt at the rate I'm going through this stuff! :blink: I may have to add some of the stuff I need to my Xmas wish list...LOL Do I still change the water every day? Or if the water tests fine, can I skip a day?