Sign in to follow this  
SGcvn69

Injured Fantail

The water is about 1" below the black rim. How far up should I fill the tank for it to be accurate? Forgot it is 1 teaspoon per gallon. Why was I trying to make it so hard? LOL My brain is so not functioning right lately :( Yes, it makes sense!

In my 10g qt tank, I don't find it's enough salt to really require heating on the stove to dissolve. I just put the salt in a coffee cup or something and fill it with hot (dechlorinated) water and stir. Or fill it with tank water and zap it in the microwave.

is there a cover for the tank? a glass cover?

we keep it an inch below the rim normally so that the fish don't jump out, but some don't get the pictue.. lol

do you have gravel in the tank at all? actually, are you able to stand back and take a pic of the whole set up and post it here so i can get a better idea of what you have? this will help some..

and if it's just an 1" below the level, i would make the last teaspoon half.. but that's just me :blink:

Yes, there is a cover, but it is not glass. No gravel, bare bottom.

okay.. so it's pretty much at full capacity.. yes, i would just drop half of the last teaspoon.. and measure the tank till where the water stops and put my marker half way..

The whole tank:

IMG_1976.JPG

The lid...hole in the front where the lid was lost/broken:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QQLrKbMOfMc/TOiSX14SyRI/AAAAAAAAH0Y/OwrxBTaFI1E/IMG_1977.JPG

The back...the hole where the filter once was by the previous owner:

IMG_1978.JPG

The fantail:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QQLrKbMOfMc/TOiSZjmIXsI/AAAAAAAAH0g/VVVR5d0yPdI/IMG_1979.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QQLrKbMOfMc/TOiSaZ095vI/AAAAAAAAH0k/77e9Jx01MMM/IMG_1980.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QQLrKbMOfMc/TOiSfPUyNNI/AAAAAAAAH0s/W-PcTfRNLWo/IMG_1982.JPG

His face seems more red and irritated now in the saltwater. :(

Weird. I don't know why the pics didn't all embed!

fantastic work.. okay.. i would fill it up just that little bit more.. and because your tank is so low to the ground, i would cover that hole with some paper or plastic.. just to save it from dust or insects or anything you can't even imagine getting in there..

loving the sparkling clean water. and for such a wound it's nice to see that he's not bottom sitting much.. if he was bottom sitting, he would have his stomach to the floor like permenantly. at least he's somewhat afloat in the pictures.. also, being moved, the addition of salt, the wound itself.. it will take a few days before he perks up a little..

you're doing a great job.. now, try not to feed too much, he's not well.. i recommend every second day and as little as possible.. this will keep the water quality better and help your fish. a sick fish doesn't need too much food.. neither does a healthy one ;)

He seems stressed, considering how off his poop looks. But now wonder.

Also, fill the tank to the black rim so you don't see the water line, because right now the tank isn't filled to full capacity, so it holds only about 9 gallons. I'd also add a small air stone if possible :)

Helen: Ok on the plastic...actually, I have a towel I use w/ this tank lid. Think it would get too damp? He was moving around a lot before, but the lights went out and I think he was sleeping cuz otherwise, he wouldn't have let me take a pic of his bad side! For once he was actually sitting still! :) No problem on the not feeding much! I try not to do that even normally. Lots of people over feed their fish, I think. Once a day is max for me usually. Sometimes every other day so this won't be too different!

Fang: He was pooping fine till I separated him from the rest of his buddies in the big tank w/ the tank divider. Time for some peas :) Tried to find an air stone, but ya know what? When you need one you can't find one! I know I have multiple air stones! LOL Will have to pick one up. :\ I'm sure I'll find one as soon as I buy a new one LOL Ugh.

good work.. you're doing a fantastic job.. from here, i look forward to more positive updates.. and if you see things getting worse, post as often as you can so that we can help..

there is a shocking disease called columnaris that affects the tissue around the mouth and can be very fatal in many cases, so just keep an eye on him.. i mentioned this due to the nature of his injury.. if in the next 24 hours you don't notice some good improvement, we may have to look into meds.

good luck

Just wanted to mention this half-unrelated:

This is a very pretty fish. I really hope you can figure out a solution for the overstocking so the goldfish will stay healthy and don't get stunted. Ever since I learned that their bodies stop growing but internal organs DON'T I am having horror vision of stunted fish and crushed organs.

If they would be by themselves in the 29 gallons they would look so amazing! I'd love to see photos of your other fish too :)

You and me both Helen! Just put more water into the tank...he was swimming around when I got up there. At least his appetite and activity is good so he should have an ok recovery. I thought about putting an antibiotic into the water, but that would kill the bacteria that is trying to establish onto the sponge filter. :\ Hopefully salt is all I need!

Fang: I never heard about the organs keep growing. This was a first for me when you first mentioned it! I also heard somewhere that they don't really stop growing, maybe slow down tho.

Here's a pic of one of the culprit's babies:

77185_1643726527460_1065755918_1806142_3511229_n.jpg

This is what sits on top of the 10 gal quarantine tank:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs024.snc1/4263_1146014204963_1065755918_430637_825945_n.jpg

Don't think I have a pic of the 29 gal...it's a mess at the moment trying to get everyone sorted out. Soon as break comes I have to make it pretty again :)

My dog:

60523_1563985573986_1065755918_1642974_5250378_n.jpg

Yeah, the article about the stunted fish is somewhere on this forum. Your dog is so cute! I just want to pull his cheeks to the side and give him a kiss between the eyes :heart

I'll have to look for it...sounds interesting. I had a regular feeder goldfish that grew up to 5" in the 29 gal once. Gave him to my future in-laws for their pond and something ate him :(

Thanks! His name is Samba. He's my best buddy!

The regular goldfish grows to an average size of 8" - 16". I can't think of it right now, someone one here has these gorgeous three big common goldfish in a 55 or 75 gallon tank. Really, these fish are MASSIVE. So pretty!

Dogs are awesome. I love mine so much too, have them for 15 years now.

I love plain goldfish. They are so simple, but yet so pretty!

My mom once told me a story...her dad had this goldfish in this little bowl and he changed the water 100% every day! It also got live bloodworms every day. The thing grew to as big as the bowl was! I don't know how it was able to swim and not flop out?

What kind of dog do you have?

It probably grew because of the daily 100% water changes as this removes the hormone out of the water that keeps the fish from growing.

I got two little Sheltie girls :)

Cool :)

Goldfish are hard to give up for me. They were my first fish (as I am sure they were others too!), but I gotta at least have one of them no matter what other types of fish I have! They're like puppy dogs of the fish world!

That's right! When I get up in the morning and enter the living room or when I come home from work they are all lined up at the front of the tank, greeting me and dancing their little food-begging-dance. And if I don't feed them right away the stop - still lined up - and stare me down :rofl

Yah! They train real easily! LOL My bearded dragon does that too! I swear we don't have faces, they just see us as food!

Sure wouldn't doubt that one either!

nice dog.. we do have a section for other pets. you may want to join there too. it's called pet brigade and there is a link in my signature.. we all post there of our other pets.. go see it and join!.. i just wanna pull his chops and kiss him too.. it's an adorable pic of him!..