Sign in to follow this  
SGcvn69

Injured Fantail

Yes it will but it's supposed to to kill off any bad bacteria. I would see if you could get him in his own separate rubbermaid tub or storage tub and salt him there instead of the whole tank. I wouldn't use melafix on the whole tank right now since it's a tree oil and might make it harder for him. A concentration of 0.1%-0.3% salt does wonders for him. It's one teaspoon of dissolved aquarium salt or pure salt (no additives or anti-caking agents) per gallon. This gets you up to 0.1% and if you repeat twice more every 12 hours you get up to 0.3% 0.3% is for bad wounds and for parasites, and ich. Salt really does work wonders for wounds is is less stressful :D

I'm working on that separate tank thing! Full weekend...will soak the tank tomorrow after my appointment and test it for leaks. Then I gotta haul water upstairs. :( At least I'll get my exercise! LOL I know salt does do wonders, but it just dawned on me last night that it would sting LOL Duh! I don't know why it took so long for me to realize that! After he heals I need to do some reshuffling of living quarters as well as get the rest of those cichlids up to 2" and sell them.

The salt might sting because it is disinfecting. But it is necessary as that just seem to be a wound from bad water quality - just like a fungus eating up his mouth. Salt will take care of it.

yes, the information that CFG replied with is correct,, good luck with healing your fish.. post back with regular updates, there are other methods, but when you're adding the salt, make sure it's as hakura advised "dissolved aquarium salt or pure salt (no additives or anti-caking agents)"

No worries, always have aquarium salt on hand! Tank is soaking as we speak. Keep your fingers crossed that it does not leak!

good luck.. and you may want to look for a big enough tub if the qt tank fails you as a precaution.. just make sure it hasn't had detergents in it and sterilize it in advance incase you need to use it in a hurry.

Hi, I am glad that you have worked out the situations with the tanks, overstocking, etc. So I won't add my little spiel to the long list of others.

However, we still REALLY NEED TEST RESULTS for your water chemistry.

What no one has mentioned is that adding anything (including salt) to water that is not balanced is not safe.

PLEASE test your water.

Also, when you say you changed "some water" do you mean that you changed 50% of the water? Less, more?

The big tank....I changed probably about 50% of the water. Hard to tell as I take out a little and add some, then take out a little and then add some...I do that like 3-4 times.

I am pooped at the moment from running up and down 3 levels of the house. Will test it later. I'm sure it is fine. My testing kit is old anyway so who knows how accurate it is.

Hi, I am glad that you have worked out the situations with the tanks, overstocking, etc. So I won't add my little spiel to the long list of others.

However, we still REALLY NEED TEST RESULTS for your water chemistry.

What no one has mentioned is that adding anything (including salt) to water that is not balanced is not safe.

PLEASE test your water.

Also, when you say you changed "some water" do you mean that you changed 50% of the water? Less, more?

That's not the best way to do a water change. If you take some water out then add more water back in, you aren't getting nearly enough new water in the tank.

Also, if you don't have accurate test kits, you really shouldn't be keeping fish. Water is their entire universe, and it's our job as the people who bought them and brought them into our homes to make sure the water is in the best possible state at all times.

Also, not to be mean, but it literally takes 10mins to test your water at the most. And you can do it while sitting down. Being "pooped" is not really a valid excuse for not testing the water. Especially since we have asked for test results from the very beginning.

You know Ryukin Girl, you ARE being rude no matter what you think you are trying to be. You have no idea how busy I am lately and I am working on this! I am forsaking my future to save this little guy so I don't need you to tell me what I need and don't need to be doing. I came for help, not for you to be telling me whether I should keep fish or not. I really do not appreciate your attitude at all. I don't have the funds at the moment so I am making do on what I can. I'd appreciate it if you could be a bit more patient. I am not new to fish keeping.

That's not the best way to do a water change. If you take some water out then add more water back in, you aren't getting nearly enough new water in the tank.

Also, if you don't have accurate test kits, you really shouldn't be keeping fish. Water is their entire universe, and it's our job as the people who bought them and brought them into our homes to make sure the water is in the best possible state at all times.

Also, not to be mean, but it literally takes 10mins to test your water at the most. And you can do it while sitting down. Being "pooped" is not really a valid excuse for not testing the water. Especially since we have asked for test results from the very beginning.

Test results:

29 gal

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 10.0

Temp: 65˚F

10 gal

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

Temp: 66˚F

There you have it. It took about 1 hour to get those results, NOT two mins. The ammonia test takes 20 minutes each and I have only one kit. It's a Wardley master test kit. Tap water is pretty hard too, 8.1? It was in between two colors. 29 gal has an Aquaclear filter and the 10 gallon has a sponge filter. Use de-chlorinator in the water and salt in the 10 gal.

Edited by SGcvn69

well, the water params look good.. how'd you go with the 10 gal? any leaks?

No leaks! It was sold to me as being water tight. I didn't know if it still was after being dry for so long, but I filled it up to the brim in the tub before I left for my appointment this a.m. and came home to the same amount of water so I figured it was good to go! Had some trouble getting 10 gallons of water to tip so I could rinse it w/ some hot water, but I managed! Hauled it upstairs and went up and down the stairs multiple times to fill it w/ a smaller container. Got the water pretty close too! 1˚F off w/o using a thermometer! :o So he is all settled in with a new sponge filter and some salt! Now the wait begins...

well, the water params look good.. how'd you go with the 10 gal? any leaks?

that's great.. now keep a close eye on the wound.. take a good pic of it per day even twice per day and report back as many times with updates. with a wound like that the salt needs to be gradually increased to it's maximum .3% there is good information on this site for salting wounds.. and keep checking the water parameters so nothing gets outta control.. i know you have a busy scheduele, but if you can manage a water change every day, that would speed up the process quite well and you will see improvements in no time.

just remember though, when you remove water, you're removing salt.. so try to calculate what you're removing so that it can be added back. salt is to be dissolved before adding..

salt cannot be removed from the water with the filter, the only way to remove it is gradual with your water changes.. so when he's healed, with every water change you do, do not add the salt back and it will eventually be gone from the water..

good luck and we look forward to regular updates.

Just wanted to stop by to say good job with the 10 gallon. I know how much work that must have involved. But your fantail now has a fighting chance to heal. :)

I hope the salt and good clean water will do the job. :heart

I agree with Helen (stakos) Excellent advice there and good job with the 10 gallon. You're doing great!

Helen: I went online and calculated it and put 3.3 tablespoons of salt in. Then I realized I did not fill it all the way up so it is not exactly 10 gallons. Getting pics will be tricky. Took a lot of tries to get the ones I posted.

stop!.. did you mean tablespoons or teaspoons?

It's ok 3.3 tablepoons is roughly equal to 10 teaspoons. :rofl I was almost a little freaked out too.

phew.. yes.. i saw tablespoons and freaked out!.. lol.. thank you hakura.. you are my sanity! or should i say salinity? LMAO..

okay.. so SGcvn69, please excuse my heartattack!.. i'm getting old ;)

some info for you from our trinket:

How to administer

Using salt at the medicinal dosage of .3%.

You will be adding salt at 3 x 12 hour intervals.

First of all make sure that the tank water is registering 0 for ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates should also be as low as possible. Mix the first dosage of .1 % of salt in a small bucket/cup with a small amount of treated conditioned water or tank water. This means one teaspoon per one gallon. So if you have a 10 gallon tank for example you are going to be adding 10 level teaspoons (one teaspoon is 5ml ) to the bucket or cup.

Boy you guys gave me a heart attack too! I was like I SWEAR I read that right! 1 teaspoon per gallon and it equaled to something like 3.33 tablespoons per 10 gallons! LOL Good thing I kept reading and saw that it was OK! What's the percentage at this point? I've never measured the aquarium salt before....just put a tablespoon or two in till they felt better.

lol.. yes, we sometimes get kooky on kokos!.. you will too, give it time hun, it rubs off :rofl

as i copied from trinket's instructions, this is the best way:

Mix the first dosage of .1 % of salt in a small bucket/cup with a small amount of treated conditioned water or tank water. This means one teaspoon per one gallon. So if you have a 10 gallon tank for example you are going to be adding 10 level teaspoons (one teaspoon is 5ml ) to the bucket or cup.

everytime you repeat this process, you up the levels.. so if you repeat this 3 times, you are at the maximum .3%

i have found that putting a small saucepan of tank water on the stove and adding the salt there on a mild simmer whilst stirring desovles it faster, then i just add that to a jug of cool tank water, mix it in and add it straight to the tank..

just be sure that every time you up the salt dosage, there is heaps of hours (pref 12 hours) in between dosages so that it doesn't shock the fish either.

Ok....so I have to figure out a nice round number of salt and calculate how much water to take out and add that amount of salt back in, PLUS, another 1 teaspoon per gallon to up it to make it 0.2%? This is gonna be tricky....! Just checked on him. He seems ok. Probably a huge shock going from having lots of friends to one friend to no friends and no decorations!

yes,

i personally would tackle this like this.. as salting is so important not to overdose..

how about, you take a marker and a ruler and mark the tank at half the height? then you know, if you do a 50% water change, you need to add 5 level teaspoons back?

also, you need to remember, if you're upping the % salt at the same time of a water change and you're using this method, it will be 5 level teaspoons to replace what's gone + 10 level teaspoons for the level up..

does this make sense?