Strange Lumps

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level = 0

[*]Nitrite Level = 0

[*]Nitrate level = 20 (water change due tomorrow)

[*]Ph Level = 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops = API drops

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? = 63 gallons up and running for 10 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? = Eheim pro II Canister filter and Juwel Bioflow 600

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? = Every week 60%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? = Four fish, the biggest is 6 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? = Prime and Seachem Gold Buffer

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? = Home made gel food once or twice a day!

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Cherry my red cap oranda has a lump that is growing from the inside out (it is not a spot on top of his scales.) The lump is on his bottom. There is also another lump on his left hand side.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, Cherry is still as lively as ever swimming all over and eating normally. Sometimes he will stop swimming have a rest but whilst he is resting his body tilts in to a vertical position (his head pointing towards the top of the tank!)

I don't know how to treat Cherry, should I remove him and put him in the qt tank. Apart from the lumps, he seems to be acting normally. I will try and get some pictures up!

Thanks in advance ;)

QT is a good idea :) the bump should come up and eventually pop. Or get reabsorbed :) Make sure you keep the tank very clean so that if it pops it doesn't get infected.

Is cherry confirmed as a male? Just to be sure because sometimes it might be eggs if he's a young lady! Does Cherry's vent look normal?

When I first got Cherry back in Feb, he had breeding stars on his gill plates and down his front fins, then they faded and I haven't seen any recently. I am pretty sure he is a "he!"

So now my QT tank is all set up, I took some of the media from my internal filter (from the main tank) I hope this will seed the filter in the QT tank. Cherry is in there swimming merrirly! However now my main tank looks so quiet! For such a small fish Cherry has a huge personality!

:heart Thank you for your help, I will be in touch! :heart

Hi guys, just wondered if you knew how long these things take to pop? And when they pop does all the fluid come out in to the water? Do the lumps go down as soon as they have popped? Sorry for sooooooo many questions. :unsure:

They are a little bigger than yesterday. Today Cherry is still his happy little self, he has adopted a wriggly swimming stroke I think he is trying to get round the fact that he has got these two lumps and they seem to be getting in the way of his usual fast swimming stroke!

I haven't added anything to his water yet, and he is still eating fine and acting normally.

He looks SO big in the QT tank all by himself. He has deffinetely grown since he was in there when I first got him! :)

From experience with Red, the cyst usually pops and releases into the water and even looks like when you pop a zit. GROSS. It's areally good you've got him in quarantien though. Who knows what he's carrying in that thing. I hope he starts feeling better soon! And great news that he's eating.

I know you can either add epson salt to help 'suck' it out. Otherwise normal salt to help with his general immunity and prevent infection :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update; So the lumps look such a lot better and flatter to Cherry's body :) . He seems happy and busy but I am a little worried...........................

Over the past few days he has spent more of his time in a completely vertical position, with his head near the surface. He will stay in this position for a few minutes then he snaps out of it and starts swimming again! :goldfish:

Today I was doing water changes on both tanks and I figured that adding a little salt would not hurt. Since Cherry has had the salt added he is not doing his vertical hanging position! :panana So I think it is doing him some good!

I was wondering how long I can keep him at 1%? If he is doing alright do I have to increase to 2% then 3%?

Thanks guys! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so today Cherry lost his fight against the strange lumps. I thought he was going to be ok, but he deteriated (can't spell that!) so quickly. He looked awful this morning before I left to go to work. At least now he can rest in peace and he is not in any pain now. :cry1