Looking Into Getting And Oranda

Guest _Oranda_

Guest _Oranda_

Hello there! :)

I've been wanting and Oranda goldfish for years now and have just never actually gone through with it and gotten one. I am really interested in getting one soon, and while I know a good bit about general goldfish care from when I was researching a few years ago, is there anything specific about Orandas I should know?

Also, I wanted to know if I got a juvenile (2") Oranda, would a 10 gallon tank be good until he gets big enough for a 20? About how long do you think that would be? I was also wondering what kind of filter I would have to get? It's been years since I've researched, so I'm a little fuzzy on the requirements for the tank.

As far as diet goes, I read that they do best on a flake diet substituted with other things like peas and brine shrimp. What else is recommended as far as diet goes? With only one fish I don't know how interested I'd be in making gel, so what could I get from the pet store that is just as good?

Thanks! :)

Brittney

I would start with nothing less then 20 gallons for your first fancy goldfish and 10 for each fancy goldfish. No point in wasting money on a 10 gallon that well only hold this fish a month at most.

And I would read read read. Starting here. http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

No goldfish do best on a sinking pellet diet. No flakes.

Oranda specific care is basically keep an eye on that wen, they will get little white fuzzy patches when they get wen growth but they can also get food stuck in the folds which will rot and form fungus. It doesn't happen often, and is much less likely with pellet food (which is better for them anyway). Saki-Hikari is what my guys get fed on, I have three orandas and they all love the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I own a red cap oranda and I keep him with two red ryukins, they get along well

The oranda is a very peacefull fish and they like to glide around