Normal And Fancy

fruitloop1

So, is keeping normall goldfish [common] and fancy fish a no no, because I have done it before.

If no,what is the main reason?

could anybody direct me to a website that imforms me about species and their behaviour/what can be kept to together and what cant

many thanks people

The reason it's advised to keep commons and fancies apart is because the faster commons will out compete the slower fancies for food. Commons also tend to be a little more aggressive and may nip fins.

That's not to say it's impossible. People, like yourself, have kept them together with no problems. In general though, if you really want the two together, you'll have to watch and make sure your fancies get as much food as your commons, as well as watch for any bullying. :)

The reason it's advised to keep commons and fancies apart is because the faster commons will out compete the slower fancies for food. Commons also tend to be a little more aggressive and may nip fins.

That's not to say it's impossible. People, like yourself, have kept them together with no problems. In general though, if you really want the two together, you'll have to watch and make sure your fancies get as much food as your commons, as well as watch for any bullying. :)

thanks for the advice, I will probablykeep them together and see how it goes then, if it does not go well I have a spare tank [10 gallon] I can keep the fancy in

I would not keep a fancy in a 10 gallon alone for an extended period of time. They need more space than a 10 gallon to grow healthily and they can get 6-8 inches long :o

wow, I did not know they could grow that big

Been looking up a number of sites and all seem to think it is ok the keep 2 fancys in a 10 gallon???

The general rule of thumb is 15-20g (US) for the first fancy, then 10g (US) for each fancy after that.

What size is your tank?

Common goldfish need at least 20g (US) of water, but need quite a bit more space than that. They are fast swimmers and can grow up to 15in (not including tail). A good rule for commons is either keep them in a pond, or give them three times their length on each side of the tank (if this doesn't make sense I can try to explain it differently).

Honestly, ponds or very large tanks (100+ gallons) are the best environment for them.

It is possible to keep single tails and fancies together, but I think it has to do a lot with luck. I'm lucky so far as I have them together and no real problems. The only problem so far is that I have to feed my telescopes separate, but that is not only a problem because of the single tails. Even the other fancies are faster than the telescopes and eat up everything before the telescopes even realize that it is feeding time.

I kept a fantail with a comet and a shubie for awhile and they all got along fine. Also the fantail had no problem getting his share of food. But I think it depends on the individual fish as some fancies are much slower swimming than even fantails. So, yeah all you can do is try and see what works. As for what else you can keep with them I just kept a common with some rosy red minnows and they did great together. They are both cold water fish with the same basic requirements. However, again it just depends on the fish cause some goldies will chase the minnows and/or try to eat them.