Smell

flutterbudget

I am noticing a slight odor this morning from the tank. It's not really a "fishy" smell. But it's not really the "wet dirt" smell I hear is good either. It's more like a lake or river kind of smell? I don't really know how to describe it. I just did a water change last night and added Seachem Stability. I haven't tested parameters today yet, but I will in just a minute. The fish seem ok. The only thing different is I've just started seeing nitrites in the last couple of days, so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it?

I think the lake/river smell is good too. The LFS I always go to has that lake smell you're talking about. Anything that smells "earthy" and "natural" is normally a good smell. But if it smells foul and fishy, that's a definite warning sign. I'd just keep an eye on it (or nose that is!) to make sure it stays earthy/lake smelling and doesn't begin to smell fishy at all. If it does smell fishy, I'd assume it's because the fish are becoming stressed with the cycling, and you may want to step up the water changes.

You need to do a large water change.

I just did a large water change last night. Since I have ammonia in my tap water a water change won't lower that. And it is bound because I use Prime. Is there another reason why you think a water change is necessary?

And I always find that my tank smells a bit funny the first week or two during QT. I think it is from stress of the change from a fish store to a new tank. You just got a new one, right? I think if you keep an eye on your params you are probably okay here.

One other thing I just want to throw up into mix is plants. Do you have any aquatic plants? Are you using a nutrient enriched substrate to grow them? These things will definitely make the water smell more 'earthy' especially if they are a recent add.

I know a lot of old goldfish breeders used to know when to change the water due to the 'smell.' That may not be very scientific or accurate but I do believe that would help clarify that yes, aquarium water has a defined 'good smell' as well as the more recognizable 'warning smell' which is better known as the fishy smell.

I apologize if that made no sense to anyone but me, living on 2 pots of coffee and 10 hrs of sleep in 8 days WHEEEE

And I always find that my tank smells a bit funny the first week or two during QT. I think it is from stress of the change from a fish store to a new tank. You just got a new one, right? I think if you keep an eye on your params you are probably okay here.

I did just get a new one, but he's in QT and it's the main tank that was smelling funny. It went away almost completely after a couple of hours, though, and everyone seems ok.

I do have some plants, but am not using special substrate. The things I suspect may be contributing are: 1)I'm getting a lot of brown algae, so maybe it is making an "organic" kind of smell. and 2)I added Stability (bacterial suplememt) after my last water change very late last night.

I'm going to check parameters again tonight and may do another water change just to be on the safe side.