Twitching Violently

npila1

One of my two commons just started twitching rapidly, kind of twisting his body and shaking his head. He kind of went downwards towards the gravel, maybe tring to scratch? I don't know how to describe it. Haven't done a water test yet. Will update about that. They are being treated for flukes (for almost 2 months now). What is going on???? :(

If all your parameters are correct it is either from too much prazi - but if you only used the normal dose that is unlikely. Or you need to up the dosage.

If all your parameters are correct it is either from too much prazi - but if you only used the normal dose that is unlikely. Or you need to up the dosage.

My parameters look good. The last time I added prazi was on Monday and I added about twice the dose because I have been adding it for so long and it looks like there are still flukes. You think this dose of prazi is too much and it's irritating him? Should I do a water change? Is he going to be ok? I thought prazi was harmless :(

I don't know what to do about the flukes anymore. First, I increased the dosage to get rid of them. Then in a post I started yesterday (http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/87489-treating-with-prazi-for-2-months-now/page__pid__997601#entry997601) they recommended that I stop adding prazi for a while to see what happens.

so the terrible twitching started after the stronger dosage? Since you added it monday it should be inactive by now. You can do a large water change and take a few weeks off and see.

so the terrible twitching started after the stronger dosage? Since you added it monday it should be inactive by now. You can do a large water change and take a few weeks off and see.

The first time I noticed the twitching was just now. I don't know if there was also twitching right after I added the stronger dosage and I just didn't see it. I added it on monday night so that was less than 2 days ago. I thought prazi became inactive after 3 days.

Is it just flashing and twitching, or does the fish gulp and yawn as well? If it's just flashing, I'm wondering if a different parasite could be suspect here... Does the fish have a yellowish sheen over the body? (That would indicate velvet) You're sure there's nothing sticking onto the fish like anchor worm or lice?

This is really strange to me. If I were you I would definitely PM Trinket to ask for her advice. When you do, be sure to include a link to this thread and your last thread about prazi in the PM for her to get to easily.

I think if it was the prazi you would have seen it right away. one of my fish is very sensitive to the double dose of prazi - she sits in the corner for those 3 days. but as soon as it is out she is fine again.

just thinking about what Sakura said - have these fish ever been salted at 0.3%?

Is it just flashing and twitching, or does the fish gulp and yawn as well? If it's just flashing, I'm wondering if a different parasite could be suspect here... Does the fish have a yellowish sheen over the body? (That would indicate velvet) You're sure there's nothing sticking onto the fish like anchor worm or lice?

This is really strange to me. If I were you I would definitely PM Trinket to ask for her advice. When you do, be sure to include a link to this thread and your last thread about prazi in the PM for her to get to easily.

Sakura, the flashing and twitching only happened once (at least I've only seen it once). There is occasional/rare yawning and some gulping, but the gulping generally happens after feeding. I don't see a yellowish sheen - I also looked up velvet photos and he doesn't look like that. I also can't see anything sticking onto him...

Ok thanks I'll try to PM Trinket.

I think if it was the prazi you would have seen it right away. one of my fish is very sensitive to the double dose of prazi - she sits in the corner for those 3 days. but as soon as it is out she is fine again.

just thinking about what Sakura said - have these fish ever been salted at 0.3%?

They were salted to 0.3% for almost two weeks this past summer.

Now that you asked I noticed golden/shiny "specks" on them but I think I'm probably getting paranoid and those are probably because of their shiny scales. The pages about velvet that I read say it's hard to diagnose it on fish that are orange in color

Probably it's just their coloring. I know it's so hard to tell though... something you can try is getting a strong flashlight and shining it to get different lighting effects on their scales. That way it might be easier to tell.

Probably it's just their coloring. I know it's so hard to tell though... something you can try is getting a strong flashlight and shining it to get different lighting effects on their scales. That way it might be easier to tell.

Thanks for the tip Sakura. So what exactly should I be looking for in that case?

You're looking for a yellow-tinted, dusty looking sheen covering the fish. I think it's normally more concentrated over the back/top and upper sides of the fish.

It's probably not too likely that they have velvet, but I just figured it doesn't hurt to check :)

Edited by Sakura

Just a quick question here, did he do this twitching and head shaking just once or twice? If he caught something in his mouth fish will do that, so unless he is having these spasms on a regular basis I would not worry. :)

Just a quick question here, did he do this twitching and head shaking just once or twice? If he caught something in his mouth fish will do that, so unless he is having these spasms on a regular basis I would not worry. :)

I only saw him doing it once and that was the first time I ever saw him do it (which was why I freaked out :)). I'm also extra worried because I'm leaving this Friday for 5 days, so I want to make sure that they are fine and healthy before I go!

So this happens if they have food in their mouth you mean? By the way, that's the perfect word (spasm) to describe what he did - I didn't know if I was explaining it right.

It actually happens when they choke on something it could be food or something else, it happened to one of mine when he tried to swallow some gravel. And another time he had swallowed a silk plant leave he had ripped. They do those spasms to try and dislodge whatever is stuck. I hope that is what your fish was doing, just watch him today and tomorrow, he should be fine. :)

It actually happens when they choke on something it could be food or something else, it happened to one of mine when he tried to swallow some gravel. And another time he had swallowed a silk plant leave he had ripped. They do those spasms to try and dislodge whatever is stuck. I hope that is what your fish was doing, just watch him today and tomorrow, he should be fine. :)

Ok sounds good, thanks a lot caitie! Hopefully that's all that was!