Nitrite Spike And Feeding Habit?

dnalex

I had posted two days ago when suddenly I was able to detect nitrites in my already cycled 55 gallon. I had not added any new fish, removed any plants or gravel within a month of that. I did have a mystery snail that died during that time, and I had not removed it in time. After posting here and receiving some excellent advice, I did a 40% WC, added some salt, and was able to reduce the nitrite level to just barely detectable.

Today, however, I just did water parameter check again and found that the nitrite levels have gone up again - to 1ppm. While this level is not (yet) dangerous, I'm very alarmed because I still don't know what is disturbing my water. Until a few days ago, my tank was cycled, and no ammonia or nitrite was detectable and nitrates always were around 10-20, or lower. I will of course do another water change, and this time I will add the Nutrafin cycle also (just got it yeterday). However, I feel that I am only trying bandage the wound, and have not found the problem.

So, I started thinking more, to see what else I have done differently, and there one more thing. Prior to last month, I have been feeding my goldfish 2x a day, but because I have had to go away, I had asked my cousin to feed my fish only once a day. A few days ago, when I got back home, I started to feed the twice daily again. Could THAT be the cause of the nitrite spike in my tank? If so, what do I do? Do I go back down to feeding only once a day? Or do I continue to feed 2x and wait for the tank to re-adjust? Is it even something to worry about? Thanks in advance for your help.

I start ti show nitrites when my filters need cleaning-have you checked them? And,you haven't added any enzymes or anything? I'm in the midst of a cycle bump atmbump.gif,and it makes me a bitkrazy.gifb/c no matter how many w/cs I do,I cannot get trites below .25! Your nitrites are @ 1 ? That's very toxic for fish! Big w/c,and check your filters-they may need cleaning.

You're right, my filters do need cleaning. I did just that, along with a 50% WC. I also very vigorously vacuumed the gravel for detritus etc. I also added some Nutrafin cycle for good measure. I will monitor the water daily. :)