Seeded, Fishless Cycle

seheap

I thought I would start a thread on my own cycling experiences since this is really the first time I have ever cycled a tank (I usually just seed them with media from a previous tank)

This time I am setting up a tropical 10g tank and have seeded it with only about 1/4c of old media that was just supporting one betta. So there isn't much bacteria on it.

My hardware is:

10g tank (planted with fake plants and one live, also has driftwood to pull the pH down)

Aqua Clear 30 (150gph) filter

--ceramic rings (new)

--poly floss (new)

--1/4c of sintered glass media (seeded from betta)

Stealth 50W heater set to 80*F

Two days ago, upon the death (from old age) of my betta, I did a 100% water change and added 3 drops of ammonia just to keep the filter alive.

Yesterday morning I took tests that read 0,0,0 so I added 6 more drops of ammonia and left the tank overnight.

This morning I got these readings:

Day 2

Amm. 1ppm

NI: 0ppm

NA: 0ppm

pH: 8.2

temp: 80*

I am hoping it will take a relatively short time to cycle this tank fully so I can get my fish!

I'll take readings and update tonight. :)

Thanks, Grace! Neither have I. So far, though, it's paying off...

I took readings last night and this morning. Here's what I got:

Day 2 (pm):

Amm: 0ppm

NA: 10ppm

temp: 80

:o I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure my test kits were wrong, but I decided to leave the tank overnight and check again in the morning. O and I also added a few more live plants. :)

Day 3 (am):

Amm: 0ppm

NA: 5ppm

temp: 80

I still can't believe it! Could it be that my tank is ALREADY CYCLED?? I decided to add 6drops of ammonia, leave the tank for a few hours and check the ammonia levels when I got out of class just to make sure my test kits are still good. I figure, if the test still shows zero ammonia after only a few hours, then they are definitely expired!

So I just took an ammonia reading and got between 0.5 and 1ppm so I guess the kit's not expired! Which is good news because that means I have a mostly cycled tank, and I can get my fish this weekend! :)

I didn't add any "cycle" or "beneficial bacteria" products, just a handful (or even less!) of very lightly seeded media and added pure ammonia.

I am so shocked to think that this tank cycled in less than three days!

I know! I am so surprised! :o

I guess this is the way to go! If you have the starter seed, of course! :)