Kanamycin For Sbd Post Dropsy

spillie

Well, Scooter and Sophie both came through their bouts of dropsy. Both had SBD before, but could swim normally for spells and also go up and down in the tank. Now, Scooter is 100% upside down at at the top (he pineconed worse).

They are both in a 29G QT in 78 degree water and have been for 3.5 weeks or so, but no longer getting metromeds and no longer in epsom. (I stopped both about a week now--they are now eating jumpstart). Sophie was 100% upside down, but now is back to her previous level of disability and has been for about a week and half. Scooter is not.

MY LFS recommended a course of kanamycin for Scooter since his SBD got dramatically worse after the pineconing. What do you all think? It seems that this is clearly related to something that happened when he pinconed. So, they said it probably is bacterial/inflamation. However, he was on MM , which helped with the pineconing --but it made no difference to his suddenly worsened SBD (but then, it is a different antibiotic),

I do not like to throw antibiotics at fish, but wonder in this case if it would be helpful?

I'm not completely familiar with all of the history here, but generally kanamycin would not be an ideal choice of medication for fish that are or have been dealing with dropsy. Kanamycin can be hard for the organs to process and very harsh and one of the possible reasons a fish dropsies can be issues with the kidneys in the first place. In my opinion, it wouldn't be the best choice, but like I said, I don't know the completely history and what else you may have tried.

Have you ever used Jungle AntiParasite Food? I ask because I have had great success using Metromeds to treat dropsy but it seemed like it would recur and it wasn't until I used Jungle AP food did the dropsy finally subside or at least calm down. I believe because in my case the fish were dropsied due to internal parasites, and whenever I see cases like this with a bunch of fish dropsy or floaty I wonder if that may be the case. If it were me, I would try the Jungle AP Food before Kanamycin if you haven't used it already.

Ah! Thank you, that's good to know. I certainly do not want to use anything hard on the organs right now.

As background, the reason they dropsied was because I was trying the shallow water treatment on them in a spare tank, and did not have a spare heater--but was not concerned because my room temp was in the low 70s. Well, the temp dropped suddenly and my thermostat broke so I had no heat for two days--and their water got quite cold at night. So, both dropsied. My fault--I then got a spare heater of course, but it was too late.

Treated with MMs and epsom and they quicklyy recovered from the dropsy--but now the one's SBD has gotten much worse, which started soon after he dropsied.

I did find a vet who says he can do can do a swim bladder aspiration--but a) am nervous about that and b) am not sure it would help other than temporarily if there is an inderlying inflamation of some kind (which I guess --though do not know--must be the case as the SBD got so much worse so suddenly).

He may just get better on his own, too. Or maybe I should try the AP?

Before anything else, let me say that often fish get floaty after a round of antibiotics. How long has it been since they were on the MetroMeds? If it hasn't been that long, and the fish is otherwise healthy right now (eating well,, swimming well, not pineconed) then personally I would hold off on any medications and see if you can give them some time to see if it improves. Maybe try some extra greens or veggies, or a food like Jumpstart or Saki-Hikari that has probiotics.. I really should have gotten your entire history here (or gone back through and looked) but I was headed off to bed and noticed this post and wanted to respond right away when it came to the kanamycin. So forgive me for not being totally up to date on everything.

As for the vet, I can't say I've had any personal experience.. All I know is that probably can't be cheap. And I would hate to see you spend a lot of money when it may or may not help. However, if you have the money and that feels like it's worth a shot, I can't say I would rule it out. I've just never been in the position to do it, ya know?

I think if it were me, and they only came off of the metromeds recently, I would avoid starting the Jungle AP right now unless you see something that indicates a more serious problem returning. Like pineconing starting, or inactivity or not willing to eat. Let me know how long ago it was and that may change my mind?

Btw I am really really glad Scooter and Sophie pulled through... :)

Oh, thanks--me too! Just wish the floaty thing would get a bit better for Scooter and that he'd get back to his previous level of disability, as he was actually quite cheery about it.

He's been off the MMs for about 7-8 days now and is eating Jump Start, but the swim bladder issue is not resolving, which is why I wondered if there were something else I could do--but I won't give him kanamycin if it is harsh (thanks so much for your advice on that), as he has just been through a bit.

I also am concerned about the vet cost and also am unsure if it would help at all or not. I think the underlying problem is probably genetic as both Sophie and Scooter are those round body orandas, but I would try AP food (later) if it might help.

Tested the water this evening (last 75% change in their QT was 4 days ago) and ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are10.

Overall, I guess I am perplexed as to why the pineconing made the SBD so much worse (for both of them, though Sophie, who pineconed less, is back to her normal level of disability now, Scooter is not at all)--and wondering whether there is anything I can do... [i do hope this is not permanent]

Thanks for your thoughts!

Okay 7-8 days since the MM's? Yeah you can give that some more time then for sure.. Like I said it can be common for fish to become more floaty after meds and that was very recent..

As for it being odd that the dropsy made the swim bladder first, actually I have found the same thing in most of my fish. A link between dropsy and floating. I'm not saying that EVERY fish with swim bladder or floaty issues is going to dropsy or anything like that!! But I have noticed that most of my fish that have dropsied tend to have bouyancy issues to some degree ever since. And if you think about it, if the fish are pineconing due to fluid build up, it would make sense that it could have an effect on the fishes ability to swim. Or just how they respond to foods in general..

To make you feel a little more at ease I just want to mention that my fish Samantha gets very very floaty after medications. In fact, she finished a round of metromeds about 3 weeks ago and now is back to getting REALLLLLY floaty and flipped over when fed. She's always a bit floaty but after a course of meds she gets exceptiopnally floaty. She gets Saki Hikari as her main pellet food which is pretty much the same as jumpstart. Both jumpstart and saki have probiotics which are great at getting the fish back on track after medications. And you have to remember that changes aren't instant. For example, a spike in ammonia can lead to a fish getting sick a month later. So in the same respect, it may take a while for the fish to readjust to normal foods and you may not see a difference for the positive for a month later... Keep an eye out for any changes (postive or negative) and let us know but for now I would totally give it some time.. :)