How Much Longer Should I Quarantine Sheba?

kazaba

My original plan was to QT Sheba for 2 weeks, and if everything went smoothly, I'd add her to the main tank after a big water change. Well, I'm starting to think it could be better for her if I extend that another two weeks, maybe longer. My reason for this is that I really want to be able to make sure she gets enough food, and Sheba is much smaller than Bubba and Maya. I also need to pick the smaller pieces of Progold to feed her so she doesn't have such a hard time swallowing. Will more time in QT even make a difference? I'm kind of torn, because I don't want to keep her in the 5 gallon, uncycled QT for too long. She seems so bored and I have grown tired of changing both tanks' water all the time (main tank almost done cycling! :) ). So any advice would be great! Thanks!

Is she a new fish and this is her first QT? If so, then I would suggest four weeks. If it is a QT for health reasons, then sometimes you have to go by gut instinct. But keep up with those water changes...cycling stress causes the most health issues in fish.

give it another week

you are right to QT that fish if you feel it is not getting enough food

I just dont think she should be away from the main tank for to long because the others may react in a bad way if she is gone for a long time

hope it helps

fruitloop, I think you're misunderstanding. Sheba is a new fish, so she has never been in the main tank with the others. Also, I've had to separate a fish before, and my other fish didn't even seem to notice. So I wouldn't be worried about that anyway.

I agree with Amy, a full four weeks is best. You want to be extra sure she's not carrying anything that will pass and to and infect your other fish :)

fruitloop, I think you're misunderstanding. Sheba is a new fish, so she has never been in the main tank with the others. Also, I've had to separate a fish before, and my other fish didn't even seem to notice. So I wouldn't be worried about that anyway.

I agree with Amy, a full four weeks is best. You want to be extra sure she's not carrying anything that will pass and to and infect your other fish :)

I right, I was under the impression that this was her first QT out of the main tank and that she had been with the others before

sorry

anyway, still give it a week