Qting A Dandy Orandas Fish Or Two

amynmitchell

My typical QT process is four weeks salt and prazi each week for three days. If the fish is from a questionable source I also will add AP food and a Formalin dip before they ever go in the QT tank.

Obviously, Ken's fish aren't questionable. So, I guess I am wondering if I still do the normal prazi and salt? Prazi I think for sure, but what about salt?

Also, what is the best way to get them in the QT tub when they first arrive?

Originally, I was only getting one, but since I may be getting two at once I need to QT them together. I am a bit worried because my tub is just over 7 gallons. I could pull out the ten gallon and QT in there, but if I did that I know I am looking at a shorter QT. My in laws are coming for Christmas on Dec. 22nd. So assuming I get the fish a couple of days after the next auction ends I would need to get them in the main tank before then which would make a three week QT. If they are in the tub, they will be under the tank and out of sight so I could do the normal four week QT....not sure what is best here.

Hi Amy, I usually QT Ken's fish for two weeks (and have prazied, never salted--though perhaps I should). I think I'd put one in the tub and one in the 10G and that a 3 week QT, given the source, is probably safe. I've never had a problem with 2 weeks, but 3 is of course extra insurance and so nice for peace of mind.:)

As for how to get them in the tank, what I do is:

1. open the box in a darker room so as not to shock (I have an interior bathroom, so I leave the light off but the door open so that a little light comes in.)

2. Let then adjust a bit to the light --move them a bit more into the room--let them a adjust a bit--and then bring them fully out and to the tank.

3. Float the bag closed for about 15 minutes to temp match (some do not as worried about what's on the plastic, but I am more worried about temp shock)

3. Open the bag and add some prime as the open bag and resulting O2/CO2 exchange will drive the PH up, which will make any ammonia more toxic

At this point, I have read (on this site, I think) you should immediately add them to the tank as once the bag is opened, the extra O2 is out and the water becomes bad very soon. However, I do not do that since my ph is so high here and another possible shock--instead I add a bit of tank water every 10 minutes over half an hour, so they have a chance to do a bit of an adjustment, bringing it up to anout 50/50, and then release them in the tank

I'll see if I can find the link, though, for the recommended way...I am not sure my way is the best, but it has worked so far for me.

I'm one filter short of being able to seperate. Though I have in the past QT'd with only an airstone, I think I would feel safer QTing them with a cycled filter and gravel from the main tank. Though I agree it is much smarter to QT them seperately, I'm just not sure if doing one without a filter is smart..hmm. I'll have to think on this one.

He even told me it'd be safe to directly add him to the tank. Although I'm going to do a week or so on mine in his own 13 gallon so he can relax and maybe .1% salt and if things look good I'll add him. I just think adding all those meds on an already quarantined fish might be stressful.

I must correct myself--I open the bag and add prime before floating it, then float it and add the tank water over 30 minutes, this I remembered when I reread the post on how to do it and why. [Though Daryl and Sakura both in the link below said not to do that....I have debated it, but in my case, worry about the temp/high ph shock combo, not sure which is worse--maybe some others can share thoughts..]

Anyway, the post was Daryl's, and you can find it in this thread "Tradegy" from someone whose shipped fish died:

http://www.kokosgold...353#entry927353

[bTW what happened to Daryl? Miss her knowledge and input...]

WHen I get the fish from Holland - who have less shipping stress that your DOs since I am actually the one transporting them home (and boy am I careful). I ALWAYS QT them separate. I asked the guy about it when I got Ingrid and Humphrey together and he said never to mix 2 fish for a QT. So I don't.

I usually open the box carefully (duh) - and take the big bag out. I then usually cut off the 2nd bag (yours probably also has a double bag) so I don't get any dirt in the water. Then I float the bag for 15mins (unopened). Then I get my prime ready - open the bag quick while bf holds it - throw in the Prime and take the fish out ASAP. I move the fish right away for 2 reasons - 1 being that I am afraid of how fast the water gets bad once you open the bag. 2 being that they have a 8.2pH in Holland and my pH is 8.4 - so there is no pH shock when I take them out right away.

This has always worked pretty well for me. I am actually getting quite good at it (the first time I was almost in tears not wanting to harm Grace! :rofl ) Usually they start swimming around right away. :)

Another good tip is never to feed them for the first day to day and a half. It seems to really help destress them. And the bigger the fish, the less you feed (as bigger/ older fish usually get 'transport depression' pretty easily)

I would use the tub if I were you. And get a small extra filter. I have an entire collection of the mini HOBs now and the Ikea plastic boxes (all in my cellar now). :doh11: But they are always useful. I just think - better safe than sorry. :)

Usually I always salted them for at least 10days. And Prazi at least 4 weeks. With McQueen I am trying out a new way - of not even salting because he is so perky and did 1month of intensive QT until a few days before I got him.

I think it is really your call when you take them out of their bag. You will clearly know a fish who needs the extra help, or not :)

Getting very excited for you!

Oh and just to say - I am hosing my family and my inlaws for thanksgiving! Grace is STILL in the middle of the living room. Oh well. They already think we are nuts.

I wouldn't mind having fish in a tub, but my husband would be very unhappy. We live in a tiny loft so no place to hide anything away. I do think QTing seperate is probably smart and I could probably fit two tubs under my tank, but I'm not one hundred percent sure on that one. I'd have to try it. What size tubs so you use? I hadn't thought of checking Ikea for tubs...that is a good plan.

Ikea has awesome ones! They are transparent and I have never had any problems - grace has been in hers like 4 months now - so it's safe :)

I use the 130liter ones for the larger fish and the 70liter ones for the smaller fish. The 70liter ones have a real handy shape :)