Dilemma

ParadiseLost

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a cover up done on my tattoo. I've only had it about 18 months but it's actually incorrect and it can't be fixed by added a few lines, so I think I might get something else done on top of it. Two dilemmas then really:

1. how do cover ups work?

2. how on earth do I approach my family about this.

I know people say "It's your body you do want you want with it yadayadayada" but actually I don't do what I want with my body at the moment sadly because I think my parents would literally disown me. When I got my tattoo my mother didn't speak to me for a month! And my dad has warned me not to get any more. So technically I would still have one tattoo but I still think they would go nuts :(

It sucks because I love tattoos and freedom of expression but my parents think it's "cheap and nasty and everyone has them" :(

I think I'd like to get something like this:

stock-photo-alstroemeria-50136622.jpg

on my wrist over the original letters I have. It's Alstroemeria flowers that my grandmother loved and we always put them on her grave. My current tat is in her memory too but it's wrong! ARGH!

Thoughts and ideas appreciated :)

Thanks.

Edited by Goldfish Carer

What does your current one say and what is incorrect about it?

You could draw out your old tat and then over lay some tracing paper or tape it too a window to see how the old lines could be disguised.

Have you ever scribbled out a word and learned what lines make the old word disappear better? :angelstaf:

Sometimes they laser the ink out but it can take multiple treatments. Or when you do the cover up you're limited to what you can get because you'll have to do something over the colors.

I would think about reconsidering maybe. What if you're unhappy about the next one? I thought about getting a koi on my back or a dragon, but then I thought "I'm going to age." :yikes Imagine the horrors of tattoos when we're older. :rofl a Hot mess is what it'll be!

Also how much are you willing to pay for this new tattoo or coverup? Here's a little info on the laser treatment Laser Treatment

As for your family just explain to them that they messed up the tattoo. A tattoo is like you said a freedom of expensive and they have no right to disown you for that!

I would think about reconsidering maybe. What if you're unhappy about the next one? I thought about getting a koi on my back or a dragon, but then I thought "I'm going to age." Imagine the horrors of tattoos when we're older. a Hot mess is what it'll be!

thats EXACTLY why I never got one!

Especially when we ladies age our backs don't look too pretty anymore and the legs and arms. NOTHING IS SAFE! :rofl Also I would think about how much you pay for it. Sometimes these tattoo artists scam you and do a really crappy color job.

I have three tattoos and one is a cover up. A good artist can actually work the new tattoo on top of the old one and it shouldn't look like a cover up. I'm not sure that anyone cared about the cover up in my family because it was in essence still one tattoo. Of course, that was before the other two tattoos came along...

Aw thanks for the ideas! The tattoo is on my wrist, it looks like this:

tumblr_lbmblaOXd01qclkqho1_400.jpg

The date is actually wrong EUGH lol I'm such an idiot.

I don't think I would do laser surgery because it leaves scars and its is far far too expensive for me to afford.

Also I'm not bothered about getting old or anything, I'm only 20 so it will look good for another 40 years anyway :D and when I get old I can just cover it up with a cardigan no problems if I don't like it lol.

I would have to save up for it a lot I guess anything detailed would cost me at least ?60+ I know someone in Leicester who recently got a really nice cover up done on her arm and it's of high quality so she could defo recommend me somewhere to go!

Those are nice curvy lines to turn into a floral design. Anyone who draws could try to incorporate the flowers you want into that.

You need a volunteer!

I agree, with no straight lines, you should be able to get something nice done :) I don't worry about my tattoos as I age, either, they're like a map of my life. My oldest ones are over 10 years old and are probably 10 years away from needing touch ups.

No offense intended here, but if I were you, I'd make getting a new style of eye glasses the #1 priority. The ones you're wearing in your avatar make you look 35 years old.

Good luck with everything.

Edited by SomethingFishy

No offense intended here, but if I were you, I'd make getting a new style of eye glasses the #1 priority. The ones you're wearing in your avatar make you look 35 years old.

Aw, sadly for you I couldn't give a rats what you think!

That's not nice :(

I think you look just wonderful Goldfish Carer :heart

If you are not going to say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

If you are not going to say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

The funniest thing is when someone says "no offense" because they know what they're saying is offensive so it's like a get out of jail free card! It doesn't work like that, "no offense" RARELY excuses anything! I'm not bothered, my friend says I look really hot in glasses, but then he has the hots for me ha!

>>> Internet toughguy detected <<< **

** "Internet tough guy"

Always male (as there are no girls on the internet), the Internet Tough Guy, also known as a Keyboard Warrior talks big XXXX online, and doesn't afraid of anything, but IRL he's a total XXXor a basement-dweller. Most internet toughguys are into computer programming, or, at the bare minimum, love videogaming or working for RBS, the investment bank that hires a lot of fake tough guy XXXX. The typical Internet Tough Guy can be found in nearly every community on LJ but often resides in his parent's basement, for at least 7 days a week, and not because he's trying to make it into an imaginary apartment, either. Usually his parents banished him to the unfinished, wet, moldy, dark basement because they couldn't stand his smell, or the fact that he is a disgrace to the family name. From furry communities to political communities, the Internet Tough Guy is one of many stock users that make up a community. XXXXXX is a prime example of a typical Internet Tough Guy.

Source: encyclopediadramatica

http://encyclopediad...ernet_Tough_Guy

copied and pasted article, if you want to read it uncensored, click the link above.

I have two tattoos. The first I got almost 15 years ago, and it still looks fine. The other is only a few years old. You'd be amazed, Tay, how awesome the touch-ups can make a tattoo look if it gets feathery or weird with age. I have a good friend in her 60s who has had tats forever, and hers look fresh as a daisy because she had them touched up a year or two ago.

I agree with Texana, your tattoo is going to be an easy one to cover up, Goldfish Carer. It's just wavy lines, in essence, and that can easily be shaped into just about anything. I think your flower idea is excellent.

Oh, and SomethingFishy? Get bent.

I love your flower design - it looks similar to a lily tattoo I'm planning, also in tribute to my late grandmother. I think tattoos can be really beautiful :) Keep us posted on whatever you decide to do!

By the way I think you look awesome in glasses :) SomethingFishy, your registered age of 0 is quite fitting.

• Admin

Not nice, she didnt ask about that she asked about her Tat.... So as my Dad told me growing up... If you dont have anything nice to say then keep your mouth shut.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, quick update!

I am pretty sure I am going to get a cover up due to this tattoo being wrong (which sucks) but it's exciting thinking about what I could have on top of it. To be honest I'm not sure except that it needs to be pretty and small, and no letters or dates in case one of them is done wrong so an image!

So any ideas of what could be nice to put on top of it are welcome! :)

Umm...is looking thirty-five bad? If so, I am so screwed.

I like the idea of choosing something meaningful to you. That is why the flower idea is nice. If you find a good artist, they can render a few different drawings for you. Keep us posted. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Wavy lines can easily be turned into just about anything! (I know everyone has already said this, but I couldn't think of an original way to start my post, lol)

If you like music, you can try that. Or flowers, or just an abstract design...

Think about your hobbies, and think if any of those would fit. :)

But I thought you were doing the flowers for your grandmother?

Also, I am very jealous of your courage (and everyone who has a tattoo's courage!) I want a tattoo but I am WAY too chicken to go through the pain. :D