Winter Feeding?

Guest MistahChau

pond fish yes. But you continue to feed your indoor fish the same. When the temp drops their metabolism drops as well and they don't need as much food. But the temp should remain the same in the tank with a heater so they eat the same amount.

I also read that. I think that it is also good to reduce the temps in aquariums. Feeding mostly veggies I also read it is good. Apparently healthy goldies should have a clear 'fat' and 'thin' season in the year.

Guest MistahChau

So I should start using the heater when the water temperature drops? Where I live it goes down to around -27 Celsius for an average and at it's lowest it can drop to around -40. Not exactly sure if that will affect the tank temperature but the tank temperature has been dropping to around 20 to 21 degrees (around 68 to 70 Fahrenheit) recently.

I stop feeding my pond fish when the pond temperature gets below 50F (10C). Their metabolism does slow down as the temperature drops, and they stop being able to digest what they eat. The pond drops to a little below 40 in winter here, but doesn't freeze.

My indoor tank stays at room temperature, which is around 68 during the day in winter. You could use a heater, depending where your tank is and how cold it gets in there. Do you know how cold it gets where you have your tank?

Guest MistahChau

Tank is by the window in the living room. Tank stays around 20C (68F) during the day but not really sure about during the night. Don't know if that really helps :X

Yes what kind of goldfish do you have in your tank? If they're fancy you'll really want to keep the water temperature at 70-77 degrees farenheit consistently. With it dropping that low it's really not good for them. You really want the temperature to be consistent, and if they're inside like everyone said just feed them like you normally do. No change.