10G Tank

EGJ

So I have received permission to relocate and take care of a 10g tropical tank. I'm basically starting from scratch (expect for the filter), and I'd like some advice on what to put in there, since it's been years since I stocked a tropical tank.

My only condition is no live bearers,. I've had swordtails practically take over a 20g with their babies in the past, and I'd rather not repeat that. :rofl

Well you could just get male platies or guppies--they are cute, colorful and active. They get along good with each other too--never seen any aggressiveness even though it's all males. Also, cory catfish are a good idea as they swim all over the tank and are just adorable. Cories like to be with their own kind so at least 3 cories and maybe 2-3 platies or guppies (males) would be a nice, peaceful community tank.

If you want schooling fish then I personally like rosy red minnows. They are inexpensive and pretty in their own right--hate to see them used as just feeders. Also, white cloud mtn. minnows , danios and small tetras are good choices. I would say 6-7 for a 10 gal should be about right.

No live bearers is not hard to do. There are many small size tetras you can get. Harlequin's are cute little fish. Not a lot of color but look great in a group in a well planted tank. Silver tips are also small and those white tips can really show off once out of the store and in a nice set up. I also love the glolight danios. There are many that say you need more then 10 gallons but I think five would fine in that tank.

The white clouds are a great little fish but be careful. I had five in a well planted 10 gallon and next thing I do I had 12. lol But they are stunning in the right set too.

I would stay away from things like Gouramis even the dwarfs cause most need at least 20 gallons or bigger and would greatly limit any schooling fish you could have cause of space.

While you are some what limited with fish size and how many there are still a lot of nice fish out there you can keep in that tank.

I would go to the pet shop. Look at what they offerer. Then get on the Internet and research that fish to see if it can work with your tank. I would however stick to one type.

I love my tropicals.

Good luck

I've just acquired 4 harlequin rasboras and I love them, their coppery colours look lovely in a well planted tank and they're really active, and school together a lot, more than my tetras. When I get a larger tank I'm going to add more of them for sure.

Glowlight tetras or similar would also look nice in a planted tank. Any type of small tetra really.

Personally I would say a group of male guppies and a few corys would work best in a 10G. No risk of breeding guppies, and movement in all areas of the tank.

• 1 month later...