Hiding Away

fruitloop1

Hi guys

Had a bit of a problem recently with my gold fish

I have a rock in my tank with a sort of opening at the bottom, now the fish is not stuck, or ill, but when it enters the hole it wont come out, but when I lift the rock up he swims around for a while and gets food but goes straight back in, I cant keep dipping my hands in and I am going away soon, and I dont want to get rid of the rock as it was given to me by a friend and is fairly expensive

advice?

How long do you have the fish? If he is new, maybe he is shy and that's why he is hiding?

Is it a sort of cave ornament where a fish is supposed to swim into or is it a plain rock ornament where the fish is not supposed to get inside?

If it is the latter, then this ornament is bad for your fish tank either way as the water inside can become stagnant and nasty bacteria will grow that may kill your fish.

Any recent changes in the tank setup, new fish, or anything else new?

How long do you have the fish? If he is new, maybe he is shy and that's why he is hiding?

Is it a sort of cave ornament where a fish is supposed to swim into or is it a plain rock ornament where the fish is not supposed to get inside?

If it is the latter, then this ornament is bad for your fish tank either way as the water inside can become stagnant and nasty bacteria will grow that may kill your fish.

Any recent changes in the tank setup, new fish, or anything else new?

it is a normal fish tank rock in which they can swim in and out of

and no, the fish is 3 years of age, he started doing this about a 3 weeks ago

Can you get a photo of it up so we can see it? If I were you I would take it out while you're away and sort something out with it when you get back :)

it is this little lighthouse

Fish lighthouse

I think fish often discover a cool hiding place and will use it repeatedly until they get bored of it. My little guy has been hanging out under a plant for the last couple of weeks, but he swims around fine and just chooses to go under there. That said though, you are much better off to seal up the ornament. Sometimes fish get stuck and scrape themselves and any hollow ornaments tend to house bad bacteria.