Hi From England

fruitloop1

Hello everybody

My name is shane and I live in The United Kingdom, England, south west

I have owned fish all my life, at the moment I have a large community tropical tank in which I have a variety of fish, usually cute little guppies but I have a pretty cool shark species.

However, I have always has a freshwater tank with 3 breeds of goldfish in it but recently [couple of weeks ago] an illness spread through the tank and the vet said there was nothing he could do and they died a week later, shame

But anyway just before xmas, I will be refilling the empty tank with again, 3 species of goldfish. Crispy, Puff, and pastry

look forward to some good chat

• Supporter

hi shane,

welcome to koko's..sorry to hear about your goldies. we can offer you some advise if you tell us the size of the tank and what goldfish you are interested in keeping. and how to disinfect your old tank incase any nasties transfer to your new fish environment once you've kick started the hobby again..

if you're planning on having fish in there before christmas, i recommend you start to do a fishless cycle.. as cycling the filters can take 6 weeks or more.. so it's best you start about now.. do you know much about cycling a filter? there is heaps of information available to you on the forums and ofcourse, we're always here and happy to help..

Thanks for the welcome

my vet instructed me on how to clean out the tank and make sure there is nothing nasty in it, done that and I aim to start the process of setting the tank up this time next week

if you go to this page you can see the tank

http://www.bodiless.org/pets/goldfish.htm

it is bigger than it looks, and my fish have always lived to healthy ages

Looks like you know what you're doing with a sump and such! Although that page says it's about 35 gallons, well if you are keeping singletails like that they look cramped because they need 20 gallons each! So you'd actually want a tank twice the size if you want to have three single tails again. But if you want to use the same tank then you can keep three fancy goldfish with ten gallons each they will LOVE you for it :)

Hello and welcome from a fellow Brit :)

Looks like you know what you're doing with a sump and such! Although that page says it's about 35 gallons, well if you are keeping singletails like that they look cramped because they need 20 gallons each! So you'd actually want a tank twice the size if you want to have three single tails again. But if you want to use the same tank then you can keep three fancy goldfish with ten gallons each they will LOVE you for it :)

Hello and welcome from a fellow Brit :)

You are probs right, maybe I will get two normal single tails and 1 fancy, I have done it before

I live in plymouth uk by the way

Welcome aboard ;) Mixing singletails and fancies is not generally recommended, the singletails tend to beat the fancy to all the food! If you've got a lot of filter media in your sump you might be able to get away with 2 singletails in your 30 gallon, but as they can reach 12" it's not really recommended...fancies are your best bet with a tank that size :)

Lucky you having a fish-vet near you!

Good to see another UK'er on the forums :) (I'm in Manchester, Newcastle and Guildford :) )

Welcome aboard ;) Mixing singletails and fancies is not generally recommended, the singletails tend to beat the fancy to all the food! If you've got a lot of filter media in your sump you might be able to get away with 2 singletails in your 30 gallon, but as they can reach 12" it's not really recommended...fancies are your best bet with a tank that size :)

Lucky you having a fish-vet near you!

Good to see another UK'er on the forums :) (I'm in Manchester, Newcastle and Guildford :) )

http://www.emperortropicals.co.uk/109aquatics.html

right down my road, supplies everything, wide selection of fish, and a traveller vet that does all the shops in plymouth, torqauy and exeter

well hello to you too from toronto! XD glad you joined. sucks that your tank went kaput. im pretty confident that i can say we have all had our rough times. glad you are continuing the hobby. definitely start the cycle seeing that xmas really isnt that far away so a cycle would be great. also maybe start a thread so that you can show us your tropical tank :D

Hi Shane, nice to have you with us! As everyone has mentioned, stay with a maximum of three fancies in your 29 gal tank with at least 10x filtration, 20x would be better yet. Your single tailed comets and commons will grow to 12 inches in length and need 20 gal of water per fish. Cycling your tank will take some work to eliminate any stress to your new fish. Best of luck with your new setup!

Welcome aboard! :hi