Converting Bn From Heated To Cold Water?

Migaloo

I would really like to add either a large common or peppermint bristlenose to my 170gal goldfish tank.

Currently I only have albinos and they were in cold water when I bought them.

All the bristlenose I come accros at the LFSs are always in tropical tanks - it seems I cant find any in coldwater tanks, so I was wandering if I could acclimatise a BN from tropical to cold water? Or would it just stress them too much?

And if so, how do I do it?

Is it just a matter of floating them in the bag? Or is it more complicated then that?

Yes I can arrange a spare tank... but I would need to buy a small heater - as I only have two big heaters :)

I do need more specific info however... Like how do I lower the temp specifically - half a degree a day? (being from Oz, I think in degrees Celcius LOL)

I would really like to add either a large common or peppermint bristlenose to my 170gal goldfish tank.

It's not advisable to keep common plecos with goldfish. They eat the slimecoat off the goldfish at night when the goldfish are sleeping, and they also shred the fins of the fish. BNs have been known to go after a fish that is weak or sick, but are generally more passive and safe than the commons. Even still I've heard of BNs attacking healthy goldfish, so I personally wouldn't keep them together just for peace of mind.

I don't know for sure about how slow to lower the temp... but I would say if you're unsure just lean towards the conservative side. Better to go too slow than to go too fast and shock the fish I suppose. :)

LOL Sakura... I didnt mean I wanted a 'common pleco' - I meant a 'common bristlenose' - so either a brown bristlenose or a peppermint brislenose - sorry I must have worded it incorrectly :) ... I would like a brown one - because I currently only have albinos :)

I have been keeping brislenose with GF fish for a long time now and they are fine - I have 2 adults and 5 babies in the tank. Even when the BNs have eggs, they only sort of 'chase' the GF away - never injur and thats as aggressive as it gets. The rest of the time they ignore each other :)

Okay... I was pretty sure you knew that about the common plecos, so I was surprised! I was reading on another goldfish forum one time, and a member was having goldfish with shredded and red fins seemingly overnight. She tried everything, but only when she removed her albino bristlenose pleco did the goldfish finally begin to heal. So I know it can happen. :( I suppose it could have been a territorial thing perhaps because her tank was on the smaller side (I think only 25 gallons with 2 goldfish and one BN). So pushing it a bit space-wise.

Yeah maybe.... I think it would be very rare for a BN to do something like that :undecided: - I suppose anytyhing can happen and who knows - the GF could have been annoying the BN LOL - But yes, you do need to provide the right environment - driftwood and hiding spots!

But they are considered a harmless pleco to keep with goldfish - or any fish really!I have them in all of my tanks (well, I only have 2 going at he moment LOL... still ALL :P - not counting QT)!

Yesterday I saw a fully grown one at the LFS - usually only see babies in the shops - but these were big - 5 inches - with beautiful double forked bristles - I want one but they are in tropical water and I dont want to overstress/kill it :(

Sounds pretty! I have considered getting a longfin ablino BN. I was thinking of putting him in my 29g betta tank once some more algae grows. :) I've read they don't eat the diatoms (brown algae), do yours seem to ignore it or eat it?

Edited by Sakura

To be honest I dont even know what brown algea looks like! I never seem to get algea in my tanks - perhaps the BNs are eating it before I even get to see it! I do get little green spots of algea however... but thats it - and I have the lights on all day - if Im home or not... so yeah I suppose they must eat it!

Hmmmm... I guess maybe I dont then! LOL

Oh and BTW.... I LOVE longfin BN - I have never seen a big one of those, but even the babies sure are awesome!! - Again, only ever see them in tropical water (Im sure my goldies would nip those long fins!)

$60? Yeah I would believe that - they charge about $40 for the big ones here and that's just the commons - the longfin and peppermints are always dearer!

Have you seen the peppermint BNs? They are pretty

http://keysboroughaquarium.com.au/images/peppermintCAT.jpg

Edited by Migaloo