Dare-Devil Itchy Fish?

pss_gold

ph: 8.0

ammonia: 0

nitrite:0

Nitrate: 0-10

Salt: 0.3% (finally brought up to this point last night)

Treating with Prazi, Day 6 (3rd treatment just added)

Heater: 77.8*F (speed up flukes a bit otherwise 68)

I just caught one of my goldies scratching himself on the heater (at least it wasn't heating at the moment) o.o; It was slightly alarming. Then he went at some air line tubing. He's eating fine and swims around. Maybe a little thin but he's a >1.5" comet with a long tail so it's hard to tell. He's been through quarantine but my qt tank isn't clear so i couldn't monitor behavior very well. Is he just scratching off dead flukes or something? I don't think he's twitchy but i don't have as much time to monitor them as i used to. :/ He gets fed soggy goldfish flakes and gel food since that's all he can fit in his mouth at the moment. What might be itching him?

Could you please answer ALL the questions from the top box? It's the rules and it helps us get a full picture. :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5-10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.0, 6,13

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? N/A R/O

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drop

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 since Aug 18th

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? fluval 405 and a diy 2 liter bio filter and 2 sponges

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 33% 2-3x per week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4-3" oranda, 2-5" shubbies, 3-1.5" telescopes, 1-1" fantail, 1-6" common, 1-1" commet

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime and stress coat+

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? all kinds of stuff soaked 2-3 times a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? The commet in question is the newly added one out of quarantine.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Prazi and salt. Now day 7, 4th treatment just added.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Odd point on fish's ribs... shallow follow gills then a tiny point, then tapers down to tail.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Stopped eating today and is very lazy. Is in a net for the night so it doesn't get sucked up the filter or eaten.

He's not looking good and may not make it through the night :(

Edited by Yuko

He could definitely still have flukes. Some are very resistant to even Prazi.

What worries me more at this point is that he is looking ill and not doing well. I have a hunch that this is from over crowding issues.

With that many fish, we would recommend you get AT LEAST a 140g tank or pond (or any combination of tanks that gives you that gallonage) because FANCY goldfish (double tails) need at least 10g of water/space to themselves, and COMMON (single tails) need at least 20g of water/space to themselves (sorry if this is just a repetition of what you know, but others looking may not know this).

It also sounds like this guy was taken out of QT prematurely, if he is still itching and still has not gained weight, he is ill.

It may be that you have a case of internal parasites on top of the flukes that are causing him to be both itchy and very thin.

Try getting MetroMeds from goldfishconnection.com and put him back in QT.

Also get separate containers for your fish because your tank is extremely overstocked.

it didn't make it through the night. :( What causes weight loss in fish if that was what it was? I'm guessing it was internal parasites. Dang. Something I can't see. He was doing fine for the first few days out of qt but he did start staring into the corner a lot once i raised the salt. My teles tend to do that too though and they're fine. Maybe if I had kept it at 0.2% instead of 0.3% he might have done better. :/ I'll keep an eye on the rest.

The 6" common came with my brothers 55 gallon tank. It's about a couple years old, maybe less, and seems to be female. She might be underweight but her being my only common and never really seen a big common before i'm not sure. I'll post pictures when I can.

I know I'm over stocked and have been looking into an upgrade. For right now, they're small so I have a few months max. I'm also doing research into the stunting issue we deal with and the whole waste problem. By the time they're grown, they'll definitely have the gallonage they require.